Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f1668065

How do these exterior paints for stucco compare?

f1668065
9 years ago

BEHR vs ACRYLUX (local manufacturer known for sloped roof waterproofing systems.). I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts & experience on how these exterior paints compare as far as quality & performance or "theoretical" performance.

Real world experience aside, what can I look for in the product data sheets to give me an idea of quality comparisons? I'm also including current pricing for 5 gallon buckets of each to help compare price as well.

BEHR
Masonry, Stucco and Brick Paint
$69 per 5 gallon ($89 - $20 until 6/1) or $13.8/ga
http://www.behr.com/cma/Behr/Marketing/Products/product_sheets/270_PS_R811.pdf

Elastomeric
$106 per 5 gallon ($126 - $20 until 6/1) or $21.2/ga
http://www.behr.com/cma/Behr/Marketing/Products/product_sheets/67_68_PS_R811.pdf

vs.

ACRYLUX
Exterior Premium
$119.95 per 5 gallon or $23.99/ga
http://acrylux.com/storage/pdfs/Ext_Prem_Data_Sheet.pdf

Elasto-Premium
$119.95 per 5 gallon or $23.99/ga
http://acrylux.com/storage/pdfs/Elasto_Premium-wall_Data_Sheet.pdf

FWIW...
Behr Premium exterior flat & satin paints seem to have a pretty good reputation with Consumer Reports and that's good enough for me. ;) I'm don't tend to go for CR's Top Rated but rather their "Best Buy" and Behr happens to be both. That said, these 2 specific Masonry coatings were not tested.

Acrylux seems to have a great reputation locally but not the cheapest. At least one local painting contractor who swears by BM says "Acrylux is better but I'm not driving to the next town to get it."

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

You get what you pay for, CR's best buy is cheap for a reason, it is CHEAP paint.
    You seem pretty set on this Behr, so go ahead and waste your $$

it is $14 a gal verses $24 a gal for a good reason

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You seem pretty set against Behr in general and perhaps CR as well but not sure how helpful that is unless you're willing & able to share these "good reason(s)"...But I hope you feel better. ;)

FWIW, Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Enamel is CRs overall Top Rated exterior paint. It also just so happens to be their ONLY Best Buy "flat exterior paint" because it's less expensive than some lower rated brands but certainly not "CHEAP".

That said, CR actually advises "Skip the cheapest paints. ...we've found that economy grades of paints and stains don't weather as well as top-of-the-line products from the same brand. Pinching pennies now may mean spending more down the road, since you'll need to refinish more often."

• PRO
    9 years ago

By all means, use the Behr, not gonna hurt my feelings at all.
    I was just trying to let you know from 25 years of personal experience

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By all means, let me know from 25 years of personal experience why is Behr "CHEAP" or "crap" as so eloquently described elsewhere?

• PRO
    9 years ago

Do you see any professional painters recommending and or using it?

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you're unable or unwilling to address my original question OR actually be helpful and share some of your 25 years of experienced reasoning, please stop wasting our time.

That said, if anyone else is willing & able to share any helpful experience regarding my original question (re-stated below)... it'd be very helpful! Thanks!

Real world experience aside, what can I look for in the product data sheets (see link in original post) or MSDS (see link below) to give me an idea of quality comparisons?

Here is a link that might be useful: Acrlylux Exterior Premium Paint MSDS

• safen secure
    last year

Thanks Sheetz Paint & Sheetrock can you tell me what market you used this Behr product

in? we are finishing a Large Custom Home with Stucco its Brand new Construction , we have a Terrific discount with Behr but are viewing all the Big players SW/BM/PPG/

even thinking possible elastomeric home is in Central Florida Block construction that

is also solid poured inside the blocks with Concrete. Trying to get Longevity and a paint

that will not break the budget as well. but if we need to go highend for longevity thats

the road we will take, so many opinions so reading your review really gave us insight

and hope that the Behr products masonry and Elastomeric may be a viable option. could you also tell us how long in years the stucco home you did hold up and in what State?

Thank You so Much.