Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

When to paint walls, doors and trim during rennovation

nancita
11 years ago

Hi all,

Our second floor has been totally gutted and resized with the addition of another bathroom. Currently, the plaster walls are up. At what point does the painter come in? After trim and doors but before vanity, and all the bathroom fixtures? And, there's the ceiling fans.

By the way, is it better to get primed doors for the painter?

Thank you very much!

Comments (5)

• otislilly.com
    11 years ago

Prime before trim.
    trim needs to be caulked to walls.
    I am constantly called to do repairs in homes including recaulking that has cracked, and I have to inform homeowners that I can cut it all out and do it again, BUT it will not EVER stay. There is nothing for it to adhere to behind the trim but dust, chaulk and paper. Expecially on crown where the corner-joint is consistant. Its just that simple, caulking will not stick to unprimed drywall joints. Caulking is for in the crack not on the crack, and primer cant get there after. When shoddy contractors try and save money you foot the bill anyways in the end. Primer before trim also allowes the drywaller plenty of time to make it back to point the walls and ceiling before the painter gets there to paint. primer covered, everything else except the electrical trim-out should be done before paint. Electrical trimout crew should be the last ones in your home (lights/switches/covers, painter the 2nd last, cleaner 3rd last.

• nancita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,
    We had blueboard with a skim coat of plaster, not drywall. It looks fabulous! Does that need primer also? And, should the doors be pre-primed to save another paint coat?
    Our GC is only a pseudo-GC. Not terribly helpful.

• otislilly.com
    11 years ago

then the best decision you can make is a new GC, and he will worry about timing.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

The rule is that caulk sticks better to primer than it does to anything else. Usually, you prime the walls, then let the carpenters hang their trim, then come back to finish paint trim and then paint the walls. As for the doors, usually when you buy doors that are to be painted, they come pre-primed. The primer used by the factory is not a good one. I'm not saying that you need to re-prime the pre-primed doors (yes I know it sounds funny) but we often do this to give the doors the best finish possible. It depends on the customer and what they are willing to pay for. If you are buying a real wood door and painting that then you may be buying the wrong door. 6 panel pine doors for example are really not the best choice for doors that are to be painted, but I realize this may depend on the other doors in your house and what you are matching.

• nancita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Otislilly,
    I would if I could get another GC.
    Paintguy, one painter told me if the doors aren't pre-primed, then there's three coats going on the doors. What do you suggest for door panels? I was thinking four-panel. Same issue as the six panel?
    Thanks very much!

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures