Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats the best way to treat Cypress outdoors?

Posted by av8r (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 18:21

(I also posted this in Woodworking)
Our back porch (1000sf) has beaded board tongue and groove cypress ceiling. There are also 8-12x12 large cypress rough cut posts. The house was built 2 years ago and we are not sure what the painter stained/treated them with but the posts especially had mildewed so badly that you could no longer see the wood grain and the ceiling also had started mildewing on many boards in several places. I used Jomax/bleach to clean off the mildew and used a pressure washer to rinse. I did not notice any beading of water anywhere. The color lightened a little but still looks pretty good. We would prefer a dull natural finish opposed to a shiny finish. What should I do with this now to try to prevent mildew and/or make it easier to clean next time? A sealer or a stain/sealer? What brand? Oil base? Water base? Unbelievably I really cant find a whole lot of consistent info online. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats the best way to treat Cypress outdoors?

The only idea I can suggest is to call a cypress vendor and ask. I tried looking into a good way to paint historic cypress by calling paint vendors a couple of years ago and got nowhere. I'll link one place below, but I know there are vendors sprinkled throughout the U.S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Austin Hardwoods

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here