Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BM Aura Bath & Spa over semi-gloss?

Posted by flicka001 (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 18:15

I just had a bathroom remodeled and unfortunately I didn't specify the type of paint (one of my many lessons learned on a first remodel). The contractor painted the whole room in semi-gloss. This might have been fine if all the drywall had been replaced but it is older and has lots of patches and every little defect shows.

I previously had a BM pearl in the bathroom but just saw they have a new matte Aura Bath and Spa paint. If I want to use this over the semi-gloss (BM Regal), do I need to prime first? I'm painting in the same color.

And any cons with the BM Aura paint?

Thank you so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BM Aura Bath & Spa over semi-gloss?

The only con I've heard about Aura is the learning curve to use it and the price. No personal experience, but it's supposedly the ultimate paint. You'll want to either sand lightly to scuff up the semi-gloss sheen, or use a bonding primer (ie: Zinsser 123, BM Fresh Start All-purpose Primer).

o

No, you do not NEED a primer. Just do as the above poster said, scruff it up with some 100 grit paper, clean the dust off and paint away.

o

Thanks! Guess I'll have to research the "learning curve" on the paint.

o

I just did this exact same thing in my bathroom...20 yr-old semi gloss on the walls. I cleaned the walls well but that's it. I used 2 coats of Aura (didn't really need to, but I wanted maximum protection). Honestly, after reading a lot of the posts about Aura, I was a little anxious, but I had absolutely no problems. And it looks wonderful--no water marks from steam like before. However, be careful of hair spray--it will leave spots & I still have not found a way to remove them without taking off the paint as well. This is a problem with any paint, why doesn't someone create a "stain-resistant" paint, rather than just washable?

o

This is a problem with any paint, why doesn't someone create a "stain-resistant" paint, rather than just washable?

Back in the day, it was called "oil" and it had lead in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here