Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Best taste in colors

bugbite
9 years ago

Ok. This story is probably only humorous to me. I found that Darryl Carter has a great pallette and taste in colors at Ben Moore. See link below. So I called the local Ben Moore, thinking I would pick up the chips and have Sherman Willians color match the final choice (It's done all the time.) I called the Ben Moore and was told they never heard of the colors (didn't tell them what I was doing.) So I called the Ben Moore 800 number. They said to go to the store and the store will look up the corresponding Ben Moore color. I said these are Ben Moore colors. They said the designer chooses the Ben Moore color and assigns his name and number to it. I said he and his colors are on you site. Anyway. Weird stuff. I have to pick the colors I like; they will look up the colors and tell me what their color is.
If you click on the link below be warned that your monitor may not show the actual color well. I have two monitors side by side. On my old monitor one color is pink; on the new monitor it a beautiful beige.

Here is a link that might be useful: Darryl Carter

Comments (4)

• Handymanpainter
    9 years ago

Thanks bugbite

The link is really useful, although I had to re set my monitor color setting .

• bugbite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response, HandymanPainter.
    I just got this new monitor, but a couple on weeks ago I was only using one monitor, an older monitor. Spent a lot of time selecting colors from the SW site. Went to the store and they looked nothing like what was on the old monitor.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

Went to the store and they looked nothing like what was on the old monitor.

Color on any device or monitor will never be the same as in real life color. Newer equipment helps with color accuracy but it's still never the same thing.

Color on a device or monitor is the additive color space. Color is emitted to your eyeballs. The emitted light/color creates a specific kind of sensation or experience.

Which is totally and completely different from:

Color on a paint chip or anything you can hold in your hand which is the subtractive color space. Color is reflected to your eyeballs. The reflected light/color creates an entirely different kind of sensation and color experience.

Emitted vs. reflected - two very different kinds of color experience.

People should never, ever choose color for in-real-life applications using online color swatches or information.

In each and every case, the apps, the virtual painters, the virtual color palettes are all about MARKETING. The intent is to introduce you to the brand and then get you physically in to a store where staff can serve you and maybe sometimes even upsell you.

• bugbite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shouldn't pick a color only off a chip, either. Start with a chip and move to a color board.
    Move it around the room in different light situations.
    But you all know that. Certainly most have experience trying to translate a 1 square inch chip to a full room.
    I have one amazing rich somewhat dark color that constantly gets positive comments when people see it.
    On a one inch sample it is light and washed out.

That blue looks great for the exterior of a house when it is on a tiny chip, but ugly when the exterior of the entire house is painted. Suddenly it is a huge bright blue glob.
    When you paint a house, in or out, give yourself a $20-$25 sample budget.

Re: your last paragraph, hopefully most shoppers can sort through most hype, we get it every second on the day.