Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
exterior paint quote - reasonable?

Posted by Greg__R (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 17:24

We're getting the exterior of our ~3k.ft. 2-story home painted. The siding is all vinyl so we're only paining the trim, soffits, & gutters + a large wrap-around porch. Talking with fully licensed & bonded painters, I'm getting quotes in the $3k-$4k range. This covers prep, surface cleaning, paint, and cleanup. Typical quoted paint application methods are spray + back roll using Sherwin Williams Duration (or Ben Moore Aura). Our home has steep roofs so all the 2nd story trim will require a harness. Additionally, the home is past-due for a painting so some scraping, filling, and priming will be needed.

1) The cheaper quotes are doing a single coat of the Duration paint. Is this adequate? I want a long lasting paint job. Should I be insisting on 2 coats? Looking @ Sherwin Williams website, they seem to recommend only 1 coat over existing paint.
2) Is the price reasonable for the work being done? These are A-grade Angie's List companies with good records @ the state licensing board.

Thanks!

Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: exterior paint quote - reasonable?

No way to know. We do not know where you are for one and there are another hundred or so variables involved. Personally I would skip the Duration and go with the Aura, 2 coats after priming.

o

Each contractor seems tied to a particular paint brand (I imagine they use what they know & they have a good dealer relationship). I agree that Aura is best.

o

25 year waranty on sherwin williams super paint

o

Lifetime Warranty:
Aura exterior paint's self-priming, superior one-coat performance provides a film so durable, we warrant it against chipping, peeling, and flaking-for life-when used according to the label directions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here