Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KILZ� Ceiling Paint with Stainblocking

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 16:21

I have a ceiling to paint and it appears to have a water mark in the one corner. Will this product suffice? One coat or two?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KILZ� Ceiling Paint with Stainblocking

I'm not sure what product you are referring to, but the latex version of Kilz (Kilz2) won't work. Only the oil based version will kill a water stain.

o

Can I paint over the stain with the oil product then over the entire ceiling with a ceiling paint? And yes, it was a latex primer / ceiling pain in one...

o

Yes. The easiest way is to just buy an aerosol spray can of Kilz, shoot it over the stain and the paint the whole ceiling. This way you don't have to clean out any tools.

o

ok, I thought I remembered doing that one other time and then when I painted over the kilzed area the kilz bled thru the ceiling paint...perhaps it was just junky ceiling paint. Any ceiling paint reccomendations while we are at it...there is still the Kilz ceiling paint with stain blocker that I could use (after I Kilz primed the stain), there is Behr ceiling paint....I guess I could even just buy regular behr Flat paint...no?

o

The spot of Kilz may flash some for a while because it will seal that area while the rest of the ceiling will still be porous. So, while it is drying you may notice that spot takes longer to dry. This could show, depending on what ceiling paint you are using, but since it is in a corner it probably won't be an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here