Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

need help choosing primer for peeling paint

Posted by sandybeaches50 (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 14:54

Have vinyl wall board (MHome) that was previously painted with a latex semi-gloss paint, but was not primed. It peels off very easily. What kind of primer should I use over this peeling paint and vinyl wallboard to seal it before I can drywall texture over it? I'm just wanting to seal it because my textured drywall will cover all/any imperfections. Do I use Oil based, shellac based or latex primer? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: need help choosing primer for peeling paint

because the wall board is vinyl and not wood I think I would steer clear of the shellac and oil based primers...

I think I would remove any of the peeling pieces... as if they are already peeling its going to be very difficult to stop them... Insul-X makes a couple of primers I have been very impressed with, one of which is AquaLock... I've used this primer on problem areas in the past and it has worked wonderfully... it is a latex primer and you can pick it up at any Benjamin Moore Retailer... if going to a big box store is your only option perhaps look at zinsser's Gardz which is specific for problem areas. I think both cans retail right around $25... and either should work...

DON'T killz it... Kilz is not at all equiped to handle this situation. Best of luck

RE: need help choosing primer for peeling paint


RE: need help choosing primer for peeling paint

Thanks for you help. I'll look at both reccomendations and decide.

RE: need help choosing primer for peeling paint

STIX from Insl-X will do well too.

It's another "problem surface" primer. Not the cheapest, close to $40/gal., but very good!


RE: need help choosing primer for peeling paint

If you're starting fresh, BIN is a shellac based bonding primer that does work great on vinyl covered wallboard. I used it in my bathroom with great results (even taping over it sooner than I should have and the paint held), and I'll likely use it before my contractor textures our walls just to be on the safe side.

In the case of peeling paint (yikes!), I think christophern had the right idea:
"GARDZ Problem Surface Sealer is a unique water-base sealer for porous and potential problem surfaces. It is formulated to deeply penetrate and dry to a hard, moisture resistant film that seals and binds down porous, chalky and crumbling surfaces, paints and texture finishes. GARDZ is recommended for: damaged drywall, new drywall, spackling and joint compound skim coats, plaster, calcimine, uncoated wallpaper, wallcovering adhesive residue, texture paint, popcorn ceilings and builders flat paint."

Zinsser also makes a product called Peel Stop. If you can't find either of these, I'm sure your local hardware store can order it. I wouldn't trust just any primer for a job like that. Since you have two problem surfaces (peeling paint and vinyl wallboard), it might be worth calling Rustoleum/Zinsser to see what they recommend. 877-35-8155

Here is a link that might be useful: Zinsser Primers

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here