Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poetry321

Best Interior Paint

kathleenn
10 years ago

Hi: I am getting ready to repaint all the walls in my new (to me) home. The walls are all currently painted in an off-white flat.

Looking to add maybe pastel colors, but I am most concerned what is the best satin or semigloss paint to use.

I have not painted in years. Any suggestions about what paint brand to use would be so appreciated. I definitely need a paint with low fumes and one that is truly scrubbable

Thanks for your help...Kathleenn

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

WHY? would you use semi gloss on the walls????

• PRO
    10 years ago

To answer the question, I would use PPG Manor Hall eggshell

• MissBetti
    10 years ago

If you go to the store and get the new Consumer Reports 'KITCHEN' magazine (look for white letters(Kitchen) on blue header) ... they are rating all Interior Paint in there, on pages 70 and 71.
    According to Consumer Reports the best paint in Satin & Eggshell are:
    1. Clark+Kensington
    2. Benjamin Moore Aura Satin
    3. Kilz Casual Colors Satin
    4. Glidden Premium Satin
    5. Behr Premium Plus Ultra Satin Enamel
    6. Olympic One Satin Enamel
    7. Glidden Duo Eggshell
    8. Valspar Signature Satin
    9. Benjamin Moore Regal Select Eggshell

1. Royal Interiors by ACE Satin
      ....etc.
      the worst paint - according to Consumer Report is:
    2. Sherwin Williams Duration Home Satin
      They tested Hiding, Staining, Gloss Change, Scrubbing, Smoothness and more.

Hope this helps :)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Just used Clark & Kensington last week. Dark olive, satin. Loved it. The satin isn't too shiny, loved the viscosity, not smelly.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Hey Fun-C...

The C+K is getting more popular here too!

I don't care as much for deep colors (Neutral tint-base) that have older Deeptone base formulas re-formula'd into the Neutral.
    (Looooonnnggg story there...)

It'll be changed supposedly this Fall, when ACE's whole new Palette arrives. Also new will be waterborne colorants. This will require new tinters!!!

Faron

• PRO
    10 years ago

I would use #2 and #9
    CR is a joke(IMO)

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

christophern,

The two Ben Moore stores closest to me always try to talk customers out of buying Aura and to push them toward Regal Select. I'm with you on CR--often what they say their criteria for testing are aren't my criteria for using a product.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Yea over the years, I have never really agreed with any of the Consumer Reports paint rankings and I'm not so sure any painter has. Behr has been #1 too many times. I think some stores may push people towards Regal Select instead of Aura because some have complained that Aura is difficult to work with because of the fast drying times, but to me...they all dry fast and I don't notice a difference between the 2.

• PRO
    10 years ago

I agree with paintguy

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I'm a fan of CR overall....BUT....

NOT in regards to "Coatings-testing" of ANY kind!!!!

MY REASONS:
    * Coatings depend on, to a large degree, the skill-set AND tools of the HUMAN putting them on.
    * If you let 10 random people loose in the same house, with the SAME paint, BUT let them choose their OWN tools, and assign them to each paint 1 like-size wall in a different room....
    * You'll discover TEN different thicknesses of paint, with different final appearances too.
    * In addition, each one of those walls could very well have a different substrate-issue.
    * Believe-it-or-no....the COLOR can have some effect on surface-performance as well.

>>> I realize CR uses draw-down slides to control WET/applied thickness, but different paints will dry-down to varying DRIED mil-depths. This can lead to HUGE variances in final coat performance.

Faron

• bugbite
    9 years ago

Good Housekeeping did a complete analyze. Said Sherwin Williams SuperPaint rated A+ plus 2 other paints both by Ben Moore. Berh Ultra rated A-.
    Some Sherwin William paints are top rated; some are not. But that applies to a lot of companies.
    I am going with SuperPaint for two reasons: 1. My local store is giving me the 40% off sale price until the completion of my project, 2. Superpaint is very highly rated by the professionals.

• tbo123
    9 years ago

What is "CR" ?

• tombob
    9 years ago

CR is Consumer Reports.