Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheryl8185_gw

White for cabinets?? using cabinet coat

sheryl8185
13 years ago

There are several colors of white and off white available according to the website. I am painting a cabinet in a small bathroom - can someone recommend which white to pick to get a nice result? I am hoping for as close to a professional/store bought look as possible.

Interestingly, the website says to not use a primer under it... is that really true??

I am covering 20+ year old builder grade oak as I can't afford to replace everything in this bathroom and it is still structurally sound.

thanks!

Comments (11)

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Holy cow, I've not looked at their color card in ages (have been using CC for years). They've added shades of whites! I use standard white. It might be a bit stark for some, but I like it. Neutral, clean, crisp, no matching issues with other colors.

Do yourself a favor and prime first. It is self-priming, but it's costly enough that it's cheaper to put a coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123 or an oil-based primer on first. Let dry, gently sand smooth with 200 or 220 grit, wipe with tack cloth, then paint with CC. And before you ever prime, clean the vanity really well with a good pre-paint cleaner like Dirtex. More detailed instructions are kicking around Paint forum somewhere.

I had two cherry colored tables I tested with CC a long time ago. One with primer, one without. CC did OK as it's own primer, but it took several more coats. So it's cost prohibitive.

I've posted these before, but here is what their standard White looks like.

This is a closeup of my kitchen cab, just to show you how it looks on oak. (These were a very dark 70's stain and I did prime before using CC.) I didn't fill in the oak grain, I don't care for flat cabs, prefer a little bit of texture.

Different view:

During remodel, on hallway doors/trim:

Oh, here, I found one more to toss in. (I was taking pic of flooring DH had just installed, but all doors/trim in pic are done in CC White.)

It looks like the newer whites are at the top row of their undertones. i.e. Almond Sugar yellow undertones, Palace Gown pink undertones, etc. If I strayed from White, personally I'd probably use something with just a hint of warmth, but not much, otherwise it might be enough to restrict wall paint colors, etc. Probably Almond Sugar. But I'd definitely have to see a swatch in person before making that call. If memory serves, their Almond is a pretty deep Almond, and the online swatch makes it appear lighter. So if you can get your hands on a color card, that would save a lot of $ and paint. Tho it goes really far, if you're only doing a smaller 2 door vanity, a quart should be enough.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

I prefer a warm white on cabinets especially if you get a lot of light. The pure white can be a bit much for some eyes. I was told by Paintguy that I could use Zinnsner primer 123 in latex and then paint with latex. I did that and used Aura Sparkling wine and I LOVE my cabinets. They were oak in their old life. Counter tops go on Tues. Good luck.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Wow, exciting transformations yaya & moon! I like CC, standard white - like moon's projects. It's a very, very simple and basic white. But I also like a white from Pittsburgh Paints that's often referred to as "Commercial White" which is SO NOT a fancy, fussy color name!

• sheryl8185
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing those photos - looks great!!

I know, I went to look at color samples online and was kinda overwhelmed by how many whites there are! I have not yet located a local retailer who carries this product...

Speaking of primer Zinsser has so many to choose from, it is overwhelming too! :)

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Thanks, FC. It was a lot of work, but worth it. As a side note, there is a white I used on one of my vanities mixed in Pittsburgh's Manor Hall line 15 years ago. That was some primo paint! (I tend to think PBG paint gets overlooked sometimes.) Perfect color and still in pristine shape today (so I didn't repaint that one). That was just before my days of meticulously documenting colors + formula on paint sticks, so I don't know what I used now. :/

sheryl8185, Zinsser does have a lot of primers, but they serve specific purposes or address specific problems. From standard priming to covering something icky. ;) I used Bullseye 123 (a latex so easy cleanup with water) on so many surfaces in our house back when we bought it. We had to repaint interior top to bottom. Drywall, wood, concrete block walls in utility room. Zinsser didn't have as many choices back then as I recall, and 1-2-3 served me well so I've remained loyal. (I used it on my kitchen cabs and it's my only regret. I suspect during their lifetime oil based polishes might have been used for cleaning, if I had a do-over opportunity -or the stamina, ha! - I'd use an oil-based primer because of oils in the wood.) If you suspect or know your bath vanity has had some oils applied (lemon oil, pledge, etc.) you might be safer with an oil-based primer. If there are no issues like that, imho Bullseye 1-2-3 should be just fine. Nor have I ever had noteworthy tannin bleed through from oak. But different woods of the same species can behave differently. (Did get some tannin bleed on a cedar chest stained dark that I painted white, but 1-2-3 still did the job even tho a couple areas 'yellowed' just a bit. Once I got a couple coats of Cab Coat on it, it's been fine.) If you're unsure and to want to play it a bit safer, use an oil-based primer like Cover Stain on the oak, or one of Zinsser's newer amped up latex primers (Bullseye 1-2-3 Plus). I've not used Plus, but did use their oil-based Cover Stain in an older house that had drywall water stains from an old leaking window. It's been two years, so far, so good. Stain is still hidden, paint it still clinging. ;)

• kathec
    13 years ago

sheryl8185, I realize this post is almost a month old, but I thought I'd chime in. Ace 3 cities over, until recently, was the only place I could find Cabinet Coat. They sold it in White and Almond only. I played with these two colors until I came up with a white I could live with. The formula was roughly 5 parts white to 1 part almond. It's a bright white, but not stark like the white from the can which I find too blue-ish. That room is west and south facing, so the color needed to be a bit cool. I used it on drywall and wood trim wainscott in my dining room. I primed first with Kilz as it was what I had on hand. Kilz didn't do so well to seal the drywall, which had been joint compounded and sanded, so I ended up using Bullseye 123. After that I painted 2 coats of CC. I love the results. I'm planning to use CC again on my kitchen, but it is east and north facing, so I'm planning to use a warmer yellow based white. My neighborhood hardware store recently started carrying the INSL-X lines including tintable CC and Coronado paints, they're also a Benjamin Moore dealer, so I'm hoping to have the Cabinet Coat matched in Monterey White. I'll try attaching a picture of my walls, or at least a link...
    a href="http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/klcampo3/?action=view&current=diningroomnew.jpg"; target="_blank">

Good luck!
    Kathe

• freckles81
    13 years ago

I recommend Zinsser Shellac Based primer. It stinks something awful because it is alcohol based but dries after 45 minutes.

For actual paint Benjamin Moore makes a waterborne enamel called satin impervo that is good for cabinets.

• gillynat
    13 years ago

anyone know where to buy Cabinet Coat in Canada?

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

I used CabinetCoat as my primer before using BM Advanced paint (which is what my local paint store recommended). Both worked great. I would only use these products if I were to paint cabinets again. No harsh smells like oil gives and the Advanced paint leveled beautifully.

• theklunders
    9 years ago

We are looking at doing the same thing with our kitchen cabinets. Do you recommend sanding before priming? We are new to this process and we want to do what will make our cabinets look good for a long time :-) We are doing a biscuit 2x4 tile back splash with a Formica Counter Sand Crystall Matte Finish. Our appliances will be staying and so will the tile floor. We would like to put glass in some of the upper cabinets but not sure which ones.
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a link with our kitchen now. I dont know how to insert them all individually.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Remodel 2014

• tbo123
    9 years ago

Amazing.