Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dljmth

Would you ever use flat non-washable paint in a kitchen?

dljmth
10 years ago

Last week kitchen painting finished on our remodel and this week some additional electrical work was done. Of course there are hand prints all over the kitchen from the electricians, but I figured it would wash right off. Well, it doesn't. I just learned that the painter used flat - a non-washable paint in the kitchen. He is coming back to do touch up next week. I asked why on earth would you ever use non-washable paint in a kitchen and he said that I didn't specifically ask for it. Of course the lesson is to always ask, ask, ask and specify, specify, specify, but seriously? When I asked my GC about the paint sheens prior to painting he said the painters would advise me and make the best choice. They never asked and showed up and painted and I assumed they would have chosen a washable for the kitchen but I neglected to verify this. Yes, never assume...

Is it fair to ask it to be repainted at their cost (either painter or GC)?

Comments (12)

• phxphoto
    10 years ago

Fair in my book.

While some would argue you should have pressed the issue when the GC/painters never followed up, painting a kitchen in flat (much less non-washable flat) without express instruction is so bizarre there's little justification for it.

Had they used a reasonable "wrong" sheen, sure, I could see you bearing some of the repaint cost. But dead flat? In a kitchen? That sounds like their problem to me.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

But dead flat? In a kitchen? That sounds like their problem to me.

I agree, any "real" painter would never have done this.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

I think it sounds odd, but I'm not really sure it would be fair to ask anyone to do anything at their cost. This is what contracts are for, to have all the details in writing. It could be that the painters work for this contractor all the time and always paint with flat unless they are told to do otherwise. Many painters will use flat because it touches up the best...like for when electricians come in and mark up the walls. If anyone is to blame, it's the GC!

• dljmth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

paintguy - good point about the contract and indeed I looked back at the estimate for painting and the proposal which states that all walls will be flat EXCEPT kitchen and bathroom which would be semi-gloss or other. They did paint the bathroom in an eggshell finish so it is washable. It is the kitchen that is straight flat. So in fact it is their mistake. Honestly, what should have happened is what the GC told me - that the painting sub would advise me and I as the customer should have pressed to sit down and clarify before any painting started. I had considered GC'ing this project myself but instead hired a GC for this reason - so these things wouldn't fall through the cracks. There is also a mudroom and laundry room which were also painted flat. They should be washable and I or the GC should have caught that in the proposal. Ugh.

• dljmth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Had the meeting with the painter and contractor. Apparently even though the contract said "semi" in kitchen and bath the fact that I e-mailed the paint color choice and said, "for kitchen use Benjamin Moore White Dove - same as ceiling" it was interpreted to mean same color AND sheen (flat). I had also said for the moldings and trims that I didn't want anything super shiny like semi-gloss as we have a more contemporary, "matte" style house. So that was interpreted as "Use Benjamin Moore Low Sheen". Funny thing is in the same e-mail even though I did mention I wanted something washable like eggshell in the bath and they still used Low Sheen. Yes, I realize I bear some of the responsibility for not being right on top of every detail, but I am frustrated with the GC as a red flag should have been raised. This is why we hire a GC. I told him I didn't know the different sheens and he said the painters would help. I should have pushed for a meeting rather than assume he would take care of it. Funny thing is that the (new) painter foreman yesterday did admit that he doesn't use flat in a kitchen unless specifically asked.

So now I have an open kitchen/family room in flat and all trims and moldings in low sheen and a bathroom in low sheen. They used BM Ultra Spec and technically Low Sheen is considered washable. I think at this point I am stuck and am tempted to just leave it because once we start there is really no logical place to stop. Any idea how washable BM Ultra Spec Low Sheen is? And for that matter how washable flat can be?

Thank you.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Oh well this stuff happens. In dealing with contractors all the time, they are hard to train! I have one that just calls me or texts me the color choices from his customers and never includes the sheen or the product so I always have to ask or insist that he calls his customer and asks them exactly what they want. I believe most contractors don't think this is a very important decision in the building process. I'll say one thing though....if someone emailed me and said same on the ceiling as the walls, I would certainly be replying 'same sheen on both ceilings and walls?' for sure! I can see clearly how this happened but I don't think there is any way to direct the blame at either party directly to hold someone responsible. I still haven't used the Ultra Spec, but I'm sure if it's low sheen, it has some washability I'm just not sure how much.

• dljmth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Knowing my GC and the painter, that is probably what happened. Painter probably asked the proper question and GC did the easy thing and said, "yes, same." Not sure if there is a good compromise here so I may just leave it. Trying to figure out what is fair. It all comes down to $$. As a painter can you offer any suggestions?

The other thing that fell through is the GC had the painters come really early. He had them come in and touch up the ceiling BEFORE the electricians came in to install the ceiling fixtures. Of course they have to come and touch up again but want us to pay for it now as extra. That, I think will fall to the GC. Same in the bathroom. The drywall person came back and re-mudded the ceiling after the painters touched it up (the touch up didn't work so drywall needed to happen), but now they want us to pay for the repaint after the re-mud. Not liking my GC today as he isn't managing the trades schedules. Ugh.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Yea I see this a lot too..first question that pops into my head each time is why can't the electricians install things without dirtying up all painted surfaces? That's what I want to know! Sometimes I wonder if these guys always are playing in the mud outside before they come in to install fixtures. Anyway, I don't think it would be fair for you to ask for money to repaint but I don't think it's fair at all for the excess touch up charges to go to you either. The painter should touch up once, after everyone is out of there making their messes and that's it.

• dljmth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks paintguy - I think since the GC lapsed on the schedule and had the painters come before the electrician came then he should be responsible for the toych up on the touch up. He manages the schedule. I am willing to give on many things but this I think falls in the hands of the GC. I will offer to share cost on repainting because of sheen. That feels fair.

• PRO
    10 years ago

FYI, if you asked for any quality in the paint choice, they at least got BM, but Ultra Spec is at the low end of the quality scale.

• dljmth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks christophern. Yes, I realize that but that is probably OK even though I would have preferred Aura. I find it odd that many painters go cheap on the paint, when in fact the overall cost is lower with more expensive paint. I suppose labor is a factor. Last year I had a bedroom painted (different painter than one my GC is using) and they used 2 coats of Super Spec for an accent wall. Well, the coverage wasn't great so I asked them to paint with Aura (I paid) and one coat did the trick. Very clean and simple and it looked great. More expensive paint but half the labor. This time around doing a very large renovation, the paint choices just slipped through the cracks. I wish the GC had covered it in more detail, but my mistake for not being on top of it and pressing the issue, especially given my experience last year with just painting one bedroom. Just too many decisions to make and too much activity during this much larger project. Live and learn for my next remodel....

• PRO
    10 years ago

You are ultimately paying for the paint anyway. The painter should be happy using a better grade of paint( Aura for example), I know I would. Sounds to me like the GC, blew it.