Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting over cat urine stain

Posted by chroniekon (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 14:01

I'm remodeling my whole house. The new master bedroom is now what used to be two rooms. My drywall guy repaired the ceiling as needed and then skim coated the entire ceiling back smooth again and re textured. Several spots (10 - 12) about 5-6 inches in diameter are not drying out. I thought maybe my new roof had several leaks. After digging through the insulation in the attic, it appears it is cat urine. I used to have a cat that spent a lot of time up there, but it has been at least three years since any animals could have been up there. I'm now ready to paint. Is there a way to seal the ceiling so these stains won't show through the paint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting over cat urine stain

BIN

o

Whoa....

Get up there and soak it with Nature's Miracle. From above in the attic (that's a lot of pee) and what you can on the walls. You might have to skim coat it again. I would, actually.

Nature's Miracle is an enzyme that neutralizes cat pee. Nothing else (no dogs, etc.) but cat pee. You have to let it dry out, though, before you paint again.

I speak from experience that even the best stain blocker (see above) can't block cat pee. Even one actually made for drywall, i.e. Kilz stain blocking primer. Oil or not. Humidity brings the aroma [cough] right back out.

Did I mention experience?

o

From what I have heard, Natures Miracle really doesn't work either. Cat pee is the most toxic stuff on the planet. I think we should collect it and hurl it at our enemies. I have used BIN and KILZ before to lock it down though.

o

I think we should collect it and hurl it at our enemies

:-)

o

Thanks for the replies. I purchased some Zinsser and will apply it next week and let you know how things turn out.
Yes, cat urine would be very effective in chemical warfare. In this case, I'd be in favor of hurling the whole cat! But don't tell my wife I said that.

o

I think hurling it at our enemies would backfire in the wind.

However, taking used cat litter and putting it on their vehicle radiators (similar to dead fish or limburger cheese in the old days) or even just hiding it under their car seats would completely fumigate them to death.

Good luck.
Nature's Miracle made the difference for me here in this humid climate.

o

I would first use some Arm&Hammer to "wick-out" what you can. Every few hours for a few days, I'd add a little more A&H, and lightly work it in/around with my foot.
Then, after ~ a week, sweep it up. Use a shop~vac to remove ANY&ALL remaining dust.

NOW-
Use the BIN!! 3-to-4 coats!!!
NOT kidding here....

Faron

o

Last I heard it was some mold in the attic that's more deadly. At least that's what the ignorant public is being sold by the subculture real estate industry's home inspection and mold inspection. Those sub industries sure churn a lot of $$ to cure attics that have damp spots because the builder followed code.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here