Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbo123

BM Sheen

tbo123
9 years ago

I was going to use BM Advance on some cabinets.
But:

BM Advance in satin looks like semigloss to me.
Anyone else feel the same? I called BM and there is nothing available to cut it with.

I'm looking for a decent Cabinet paint but don't want shiny.

I'm assuming that WB satin Impervo would be the same sheen as advance?? I have a sample drying at the moment.

Cabinet coat looks like gloss.

Behr ultra is the only one I know of with an eggshell. I'm just leary of Behr and it's stickiness.

Seems like most folks paint their cabs semi-gloss or shiny satin. I don't get it. It's ugly. Anyone else feel the same?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

Anyone else feel the same?

No, Semi gloss is pretty standard. You want the sheen for the hardness. Satin Impervo is not as shiny as advance IMO.

• tbo123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Chris. Interesting. As 90% of the kitchens I've seen lately are like an eggshell finish. (HD, lowes, etc.)

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

Take a look at Aura Satin.

• Michael
    9 years ago

The cabinets you're seeing are most likely finished with a matte poly, or water based lacquer finish over paint. I wouldn't recommend a stand alone eggshell finish on cabinets. An eggshell sheen followed by a matte poly topcoat will produce the look you are seeking.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I don't know if this is any help, but I just finished putting some polyacrylic (no yellowing) on some natural cherry doors. I didn't want shiny, either.

I put it on with a brush, but immediately wiped it off with a clean rag. I'm going to need a couple of coats this way, but the finish is so rich, without gloss. I'm really loving it and now can't see doing any natural wood any other way.

I'm wondering if one used a flat paint, not usually good for cabinetry or trim, but sealed it this way, if you'd retain a smooth, not shiny finish as lovely? I'll try this on some other cabinets I'm painting.

Another idea for a lovely, completely matte look, so matte that it's hard to tell there's a finish on it at all is this:

I'm currently finishing an antique door. I wanted a raw wood look. I took Behr (and have used Olympic) Exterior, Latex, Flat (the darkest) Dark paint base. It goes on white, thank goodness, or you'd never tell where you'd painted it on. Dries so matte it's almost confusing. I chose exterior base for its protective finish qualities. Don't know if I'm right on that, but it seemed logical. I'll probably put 2 coats or so on it, because it's going to be a bathroom pocket door.

Oh - I also filled in any cracks in the antique veneer with the paint. Left it on thickly. It's dried and I can't tell where I did that. Kinda figured it might keep moisture out of the old veneer.

Just a couple of thoughts.

• jkpita
    9 years ago

I agree!!

Tested BM Advance in Satin finish this week on the back of a closet door and it is SHINY! I stirred well and tried on another piece of painted wood with same result. Definitely looks more like a semi-gloss and not a soft sheen like I am looking for. Loved the way it leveled out but it is too shiny to use all over the house on trim, doors and windows. Can't imagine what the semi-gloss looks like!