Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Issues w Painting 1970s brown stain Exterior

Posted by livesinnewjersey (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 13:56

Hello! We are planning on putting the house on the market and would like to command top $. The Brown stain siding is a negative so looking for advice.

We are thinking:
siding- solid stain - richmond bisque (taupe)
shutters paint- black or dark green - (currently dark green)
trim - a cream/white paint or stain?, how many # coats?

We have several hassles:
Our windows are original green w brown storms -
Mullions are painted green - time consuming to go white
Storm windows are brown metal - very little of it shows.
Is there any way to keep it simple to keep costs down in this house transformation? Or does is all have to go white to be great?

Stain the Cedar-- do we prime it and add 2 coats of stain? Does priming ruin the benefit of it being stained?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Issues w Painting 1970s brown stain Exterior

I will just comment on your color selections/costs concerns.

siding- solid stain - richmond bisque (taupe): Nice!
dark green - (currently dark green): Go with the Dark Green!
trim - a cream/white paint or stain?, how many # coats?: Maybe keep the Dark Green here too!

We have several hassles:
Our windows are original green w brown storms - Leave them alone.
Mullions are painted green - time consuming to go white -- Leave them alone.
Storm windows are brown metal - very little of it shows -- Leave them alone.

Alternatively, don't do anything. Things like painting/staining don't really scare buyers off (typically) because they are easily remedied. Are you gonna do this yourself? It is a huge job and I'd do as little as possible to get the curb or photo appeal you are looking for. If you pay to have it done (and I'm guessing $25K at least) consider thoroughly if will you get that money back.

Anyway, lovely home and the exterior scheme and condition wouldn't scare me off!!

o
RE: Issues w Painting 1970s brown stain Exterior

That house looks very familiar. You are not in Maryland are you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here