Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catfishlee

Paint colors to match red oak flooring

CatfishLee
11 years ago

I'm having a real problem picking out paint colors to go with our red oak flooring. I love the floors themselves, they're finished with 100% pure dark tung oil, which has given them a really red/orange tint.

Let me start by saying that our house is a VERY small ranch (as in 660 sq ft). The flooring runs through the level, and we hope it is also underneath the existing kitchen floor. The plan is to tear out the existing floor and if the hardwood runs underneath there too, we'll just refinish it with the tung oil as well. Then the whole house (except the bathroom) will have one cohesive floor.

The plan for the rest of the kitchen is oak countertops (unstained, just with several coats of Waterlox), white subway tile backsplash, white lower and upper cabinets, and we have white appliances. The undermount sink will be stainless steel, and all the hardware is brushed nickel.

Here's where I'm hoping you guys can help. I'm horrible at choosing paint colors. Since the house is so small, I'd really like to brighten it up and make it seem more spacious. I'd like to also have some sort of cohesiveness with the paint schemes. We'll be starting with the kitchen, but will probably end up repainting all the other rooms as well.

I tried to read up on cool/warm tones and all that stuff but I just ended up more confused than when I started. I'm open to pretty much any suggestions. If you had an otherwise white kitchen with red/orange hardwood floors, what colors of paint would you use? How would you extend that through the rest of the house?

Comment (1)