Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decor_illiterate

Choose my exterior paint color...PLEASE!!!

decor_illiterate
13 years ago

I have been racking my brain for almost a year (over my first home I purchased last summer) and cannot decide on what color to paint the outside. As you can see, it really needs something.

target="_blank">

target="_blank">

I have tried to find colors to match the roof and brick but have decided to just paint over the brick and be done with it. It looks too 80s for me anyway with the brick showing but I am willing to look at all ideas.

I considered just doing a colonial all-white w/ black shutters at one point, then decided it would be too stark-white and would show alot of dirt around the bottom. I thought about an olive green. I've seen a few houses with that color but not sure how it would clash with the roof and don't know what color (name, number, etc.). Here's one I liked but they wouldn't tell me the name of the color...

target="_blank">

I think I like darker colors and no pinks or purples. My next-door neighbor's is a light pink shade and the one next to her is tan or taupe (not sure) so I don't want to have the exact same thing as them.

I saw this color below online that I thought was neat but don't know if my old house could pull it off, or if the neighbors would be disgusted.

target="_blank">

In your thought process, please note: my house was built in 1939, is stucco, and I don't want to do any other work to the outside except paint. Oh, the windows will be replaced with new white vinyl windows (no grids)within the next 3 weeks so that will help the looks a little.

I tried the online paint programs by changing the colors myself and it never looks right or good. Also, in my past experience of picking paint colors, I painted my bathroom an awful mocha color that looked nice on paper but not on my wall so I just don't want to go through that again.

Please help...your input is much appreciated!

Comments (5)

• carolmka
    13 years ago

Cute house. The HGTV show curb appeal has recently painted several small homes. I would go there for inspiration. I was thinking a darker taupe or darker gray. Although not as dark as you are showing in the pictures. I would then consider adding shutters and painting the brick in front. You have a lot of different textures. Also I would then paint the trip a light color instead of a dark color. Good luck.

• decor_illiterate
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I was thinking of a dark gray as well. You're right I do have alot of different textures, and colors. It's like working with the "Coat of many colors!"

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I'd love to have your brick! I have concrete bricks that are absolutely hideous! I'm considering painting them this summer, but I'm worrying about maintaining paint now that we're older and don't want to do it anymore.

I think with the right colors, your brick would be just fine. From what I see of the landscaping, I think planting a climbing ivy or a clematis in front of the brick would be beautiful.

• ontariogirl
    13 years ago

Congrats on buying your first home! Just a couple of comments - I honestly don't think that your roof and brick look that bad together. But if you want to paint the brick go for it, but I wouldn't. I'm findin it's the white colour that doesn't add anything to your home. It's a bit blah, but with the right pallet ? I see now, red, grey and browns hues from your pic. The olive you have in mind won't work.(IMHO). May I suggest - Benjamin Moore - check them out online - CC490, CC470, & other colours in that area. (brown/pink/grey). Softer (but darker hues) to accomodate the brick & roof. Pick up a darker shade (2x)with the shutters.
    I had a hard time myself with this a couple of years ago too, (my roof is very similar to yours) and picked the wrong colour for my shutters. Lived with it for a year, but couldn't stand it. It got changed, and looks lovely now.
    I hope I've helped somewhat.

• vidaprodiga
    13 years ago

have you tried the online painting websites like Sherwin Williams, you can upload your pics, highlight the areas you want to paint and choose the colors? I did that with my kitchen before finalizing my colors- the colors are NOT exact but you can get an idea of what color family you want to go with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams Color Visualizer