Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain hurting primer?

Posted by newhomeowner-2009 (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 12:48

We've had almost constant rain for the past few weeks, on and off. This weekend it looks like some sunny weather but possible rain and even showers.

I've got some priming that I have to do at various spots outside for retouching work and also, as I posted previously, prior to window glazing. I'll be using oil and latex-based primers.

If there is rain after I prime will that create a problem (bubbling and so on)? I know the general rule is to not paint if rain is imminent, but I was wondering about primer too. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain hurting primer?

Primer is paint,so wait it out.

o
RE: Rain hurting primer?

The rain won't harm primer after it has dried, but painting damp wood is an adhesion problem. I'd be more concerned that your exterior woodwork is still wet; if you too are in the northeast corridor, we've had several inches of rain over the last two weeks, an things are still drying out, and the dew has been heavy with all the humidity. I'd recommend not painting within 2 hours of sunset so that the paint surface dries before dew-fall.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here