Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxbill

ceiling included? when painting room

bronxbill
13 years ago

Hi everyone - you would think by now I should know the answer to this question - but here goes.

Room size to paint - charged by the sq.ft. say a 10x15 room = 150 sq.ft.@ a $1.50 per sq.ft. comes to $225.00 -Now what about the ceiling? is that included? or do you charge it the same way the walls were figured out.

Thanks much

Bill

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    13 years ago

If I charged by the sq ft then I would add the sq ft of the ceiling, it would not be done for free.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Ceiling is always a separate line item on quote/invoice. It may be priced same as walls, might not. I've never seen it included automatically, rolled into the cost of painting walls.

Not sayin' it's not done. I've just never seen it that way. It's always extra and separate.

• decorativewalls
    13 years ago

The sq.ft. price for doing a ceiling would be added. I charge. Also makes a difference in the height of the ceiling and the color being used . Higher than 10 - more. I do a separate invoice for the ceiling size. Keeps confusion down.
    :)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

$225 for a 10x15 room? Seems almost a little cheap...

>>> Are they charging per ACTUAL WALL square-foot, or a formula adapted from just your FLOOR sq.-feet?
    * Obviously...you'll have more than 150sf of WALL area.
    * A 10x15 room with 8' walls = 400sf. Subtract out an avg. of 80sf for doors/windows, and you'll have 320sf. of WALL area.
    * If $225 is the total charge, $225/400sf of wall area = 56 CENTS/sf. This may be a better way of viewing costs.
    * The ceiling obviously would be 150sf., but normally invoiced separately. Yes...ceiling-height/slope will cause changes in billing; i.e., different ladders, poles, and maybe scaffolding.

Faron

• decorativewalls
    13 years ago

faron,

I don't subtract doorways, windows. By the time you have to finesse painting around them, that's a bit of work in itself. It takes time to maneuver around these things . Just like in small baths that are a challenge all by their little lonesome.

• bronxbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your great imput - actully I just finished my own house & my neighbor's mom needs her 2 rooms painted in her house - a 10 x 15 & a 9 x 12 room - so I was trying to figure out what to charge her - I don't do this for a living but wouldn't mind making a little extra. I am honest and would like to give her a good deal. Not too sure if the ceilings are involved yet. I seen the sq.ft. prices on an earier thread somewhere back in Nov 09 - which was anywhere bet. $1.25 - $2.50 per sq.ft. So just wondering? I might not even do it. Any suggestions - How else do you judge /charge to paint someone's rooms - should I just give one price for both ceiling & rooms and not worry about the sq.ft? Hey this could lead to some painting jobs LOL (I'm not working)
    Thanks again
    Bill

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

I doubt that most painters quote interior wall painting that way. It's not accurate because there are too many factors that can add time to your job. I go look at each job and each room and figure out how long it will take and then I multiply that by my hourly rate and add materials. Using somebody elses square foot rate is probably not the answer because who knows if you are as fast/slow of a painter as the guy who uses those rates. It's tough to know early on, but you should go look at the room...figure out how long it will take to patch the room; how long will it take to tape, sand, lay down dropcloths, cut-in, roll, etc. and then add it all up. Figure 2 gallons of paint for walls just to be safe if you are doing two coats and add the cost of that to the price. One price for the ceiling and one for the walls is fine. If you are really set on pricing by the square foot, then you will really need to do a few jobs so that you can establish some production rates, but IMO square foot pricing is best left for new construction and commercial work.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    13 years ago

Yes,what paintguy said

Just like in small baths that are a challenge all by their little lonesome.

and don't forget kitchens and closets!!

• bronxbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning guys: Yep I understand what your saying If I do go ahead and do it - then I will just use a flat rate. Much easier & simple. Well let see how this develops - let you know how I made out.
    Thanks much for all the great input & keep you posted.
    Bill

• bronxbill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone: Just a recheck - she didn't get back to me yet - but my neighbor (her son) mentioned window trim and maybe the mouldings along the floor. Hmmmmmmmm getting in more then I bargined for? what do you charge?