Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which exterior paint scheme do you like best?

Posted by anymac (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 12:02

Currently the stark red brick with cream pillars is too much contrast and makes your eyes focuses on the pillars.

We were thinking of painting all white but leaving the garage side and fireplace red brick. We think it would accentuate the house and go more with the country look. We would also either do black or red doors and black shutters. Eventually would add wood ceiling planks on both porch ceilings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which exterior paint scheme do you like best?

painted

o

Side view before paint

o

After

o

I also want to add a brick wall on front yard similar to this one. Currently there is only one and it looks out of place. I would add a second and probably make them a bit longer.

o

Or a short wood fence towards the front like this one.

o

I think the size and shape of your home make white a bit overbearing. The brick sits easy with the landscape.

I wonder if a whitewash would work and give you the change you want.

o

That's another idea. I found this white washed brick house.

We would still leave garage and fireplace red and just white wash the front. And paint pillars white.

Currently not a whole lot of landscape done to front of house. We want to add a tree to right of house. It looks pretty bare.

o

I love whitewash and think that looks great.

o

Agree on the bright white. Will probably pick a slightly offwhite or do the whitewash. Plan to redo my renderings accordingly.

o

Anymac -- with all due respect, I like painted brick homes and I also like the whitewash/antiqued look (mainly on older homes that need a facelift). Your home appears relatively new (and beautiful) and the brick seems pristine. If the Trim/Pillars are bothering you -- why change 95% of the house? Just saying.

I'd keep the brick natural (it shows off the keystones over each window) and I would just mute the brightness of the trim if that is what is bothering you. Just an alternative thought for you to consider.

o

Did you try subduing those columns with a neutral, suggested in the other thread? If it's the stark white columns that bother you, lowering the contrast with the brick might do it.

o

Agree on the bright white. Will probably pick a slightly offwhite or do the whitewash. Plan to redo my renderings accordingly.

o

Your brick is beautiful - I would leave it as is. Paint the trim, pillars, door, porch railings, and add a few shutters. I think once this is done, it will look amazingly different - without touching the brick. For the front yard area, I like the look of the short fence between two brick pillars - you could paint the fence the same color as you paint the trim, etc. on the house to tie it in. Not sure where you got the pic from, but the landscaping around the pic of the fence is beautiful. You could bring a lot more color in around your house with landscaping like this.

o

please--don't paint part of your house white and leave the garage red--
looks "motley"
I do like the whitewash effect much better
but agree that painting the pillars and maybe adding some additional trim like shutters or the front fence might take make you like the house's appearance better
I think painting that house white is a big mistake and one -- if taken-- would be so difficult to correct that you would just have to live with something you hated even more than now...

o

Anymac -- with all due respect, I like painted brick homes and I also like the whitewash/antiqued look (mainly on older homes that need a facelift). Your home appears relatively new (and beautiful) and the brick seems pristine. If the Trim/Pillars are bothering you -- why change 95% of the house? Just saying.
I'd keep the brick natural (it shows off the keystones over each window) and I would just mute the brightness of the trim if that is what is bothering you. Just an alternative thought for you to consider.

I agree with this. If you paint the brick( a huge mistake IMO) there is no going back .Plus you have lost countless $$ in re sale value.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here