Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anymacc

Which exterior paint scheme do you like best?

anymacc
10 years ago

Currently the stark red brick with cream pillars is too much contrast and makes your eyes focuses on the pillars.

We were thinking of painting all white but leaving the garage side and fireplace red brick. We think it would accentuate the house and go more with the country look. We would also either do black or red doors and black shutters. Eventually would add wood ceiling planks on both porch ceilings.

Comments (17)

• anymacc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

painted

• anymacc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Side view before paint

• anymacc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After

• anymacc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also want to add a brick wall on front yard similar to this one. Currently there is only one and it looks out of place. I would add a second and probably make them a bit longer.

• anymacc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or a short wood fence towards the front like this one.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I think the size and shape of your home make white a bit overbearing. The brick sits easy with the landscape.

I wonder if a whitewash would work and give you the change you want.

• anymacc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's another idea. I found this white washed brick house.

We would still leave garage and fireplace red and just white wash the front. And paint pillars white.

Currently not a whole lot of landscape done to front of house. We want to add a tree to right of house. It looks pretty bare.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I love whitewash and think that looks great.

• anymacc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agree on the bright white. Will probably pick a slightly offwhite or do the whitewash. Plan to redo my renderings accordingly.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Anymac -- with all due respect, I like painted brick homes and I also like the whitewash/antiqued look (mainly on older homes that need a facelift). Your home appears relatively new (and beautiful) and the brick seems pristine. If the Trim/Pillars are bothering you -- why change 95% of the house? Just saying.

I'd keep the brick natural (it shows off the keystones over each window) and I would just mute the brightness of the trim if that is what is bothering you. Just an alternative thought for you to consider.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Did you try subduing those columns with a neutral, suggested in the other thread? If it's the stark white columns that bother you, lowering the contrast with the brick might do it.

• anymacc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agree on the bright white. Will probably pick a slightly offwhite or do the whitewash. Plan to redo my renderings accordingly.

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

Your brick is beautiful - I would leave it as is. Paint the trim, pillars, door, porch railings, and add a few shutters. I think once this is done, it will look amazingly different - without touching the brick. For the front yard area, I like the look of the short fence between two brick pillars - you could paint the fence the same color as you paint the trim, etc. on the house to tie it in. Not sure where you got the pic from, but the landscaping around the pic of the fence is beautiful. You could bring a lot more color in around your house with landscaping like this.

• loves2read
    10 years ago

please--don't paint part of your house white and leave the garage red--
    looks "motley"
    I do like the whitewash effect much better
    but agree that painting the pillars and maybe adding some additional trim like shutters or the front fence might take make you like the house's appearance better
    I think painting that house white is a big mistake and one -- if taken-- would be so difficult to correct that you would just have to live with something you hated even more than now...

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Anymac -- with all due respect, I like painted brick homes and I also like the whitewash/antiqued look (mainly on older homes that need a facelift). Your home appears relatively new (and beautiful) and the brick seems pristine. If the Trim/Pillars are bothering you -- why change 95% of the house? Just saying.
    I'd keep the brick natural (it shows off the keystones over each window) and I would just mute the brightness of the trim if that is what is bothering you. Just an alternative thought for you to consider.

I agree with this. If you paint the brick( a huge mistake IMO) there is no going back .Plus you have lost countless $$ in re sale value.

• forshe1
    5 years ago

Love the brick house! That's the luxury of bricks versus wood planks, no paint upkeep. Add shutters and landscape for a more updated fresh look.

• forshe1
    5 years ago

wonder what you ended up doing as I realize this was many years ago.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer