Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taratoo

Has anyone painted cabinets using paint from Home Depot?

taratoo
13 years ago

I am going to be painting my kitchen cabinets. Has anyone used paint from Home Depot? If so, what kind of paint did you use? I couldnt find any oil based paint when I went. Can I use an oil based primer and then used regular paint? or will this cause chipping or peeling? I want to do this the right way.

Comments (13)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

After making sure the cabs are cleaned, and...ideally, scuff-sanded, priming with Oil is just fine. Sometimes it's actually the preferred way to go!

I'm on the fence about HD paints...there's many other good brands, assuming you're buying the upper grades.

Faron

• decorativewalls
    13 years ago

I would do an excellent prep and use XIM-UMA waterborne primer, then use either BM- waterborne satin impervo or SW- waterborne proclassic. I haven't tried Behr's newer paint product the "ULTRA" but I have heard some favorable results from the paint.
    For cabinets I would stick with something that will "stick" and leave Behr for walls.
    best of luck,

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    13 years ago

"better to leave the walls bare than put Behr on the walls"

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

There is nothing wrong w/HD paint (no, I don't work for them). However, when painting cabinets buy the best paint you can buy. A shellac-based primer and either an oil-based finish coat or a latex trim paint. But, here's a trick...great for a novice painter. Do your prep work and then use BM porch and floor paint (which you can mix in any color). You can spray it, brush it or roll it, it's water based and you don't need a varnish.

• vidaprodiga
    13 years ago

I am using Behr primer with paint on my cabinets and in the process of wet-sanding them down to a nice polish. We like the paint color and just stayed with Behr cause this is what we started with. After a few coats, the paint definitely needs time to dry between coats. I made the mistake of putting one on top of the other after a few days of drying and the paint stuck together. But once their are hung on the cabinets we will use those gel pads on our doors to prevent the doors from rubbing against the bases. All in all- I wish I would have done more research on the paint- but we just stuck with the paint to keep it uniformed. I finally gathered enough courage to talk to a local painter about getting a better polish on my cabinets and he told me about wet-sanding!
    Do your research and another thing he told me; paint with a brush and THEN back roll... don't dip your roller in the paint- just back roll...

Before

{{!gwi}}

In the process...

• PRO
    13 years ago

I am using Behr primer with paint on my cabinets and in the process of wet-sanding them down to a nice polish.

Come back in a year or two and tell us how that worked out for you.

• PRO
    13 years ago

There is nothing wrong w/HD paint

Care to elaborate on that??

• PRO
    13 years ago

hristophern, I don't believe you have even elaborated on your opposition to all Behr products. Why don't you give us some information, especially on the ones you have never used?

Oh, but I have and am not going to rehash it all over again. I would be hard pressed to give information on any product I have never used.

• ksoxgrl
    13 years ago

Sorry to hijack, but we are going to be painting our previously latex BM painted cabinets and saw the posting above that says you can use an oil based primer, preferred way to go, and then you can use a BM latex paint over it? Can you use the oil based primer over previously painted latex cabinets?

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Actually Christophern, you have stated multiple times on this forum that you haven't used the newer Behr formulations, including the Premium Plus Ultra. And in all the time I have been reading threads here, I've not seen explanations from you, only flippant commentary.

• PRO
    13 years ago

Actually Christophern, you have stated multiple times on this forum that you haven't used the newer Behr formulations, including the Premium Plus Ultra. And in all the time I have been reading threads here, I've not seen explanations from you, only flippant commentar

use and read the search feature carefully

• PRO
    13 years ago

Sorry to hijack, but we are going to be painting our previously latex BM painted cabinets and saw the posting above that says you can use an oil based primer, preferred way to go, and then you can use a BM latex paint over it? Can you use the oil based primer over previously painted latex cabinets?
    Yes you can but there is probably no need to prime, just make sure they are cleaned well, lightly sanded, cleaned again and paint away.

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz