Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Peeling Latex over Oil Base Paint.... help!

tinker_2006
12 years ago

I'm cross posting here and on the Old House forum, because I'm not sure how active this forum is.

Previous owner slapped on a coat of latex on most of the trim and doors, (which had oil base on) and it is rubbery and peeling, what would be the best way to get rid of this and make it so it can be painted correctly. I do not want to strip it off entirely as it would take forever!

Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• sloyder
    12 years ago

latex over oil base paint should not be a problem. Most likely the problem was with the paint used and not adhering to the oil paint. It does not sound good when you say the paint is rubbery and peeling, I would remove the latex paint altogther sand the trim then repaint. You could try removing the peeling areas from a piece of trim, and do a light sanding, then paint again with a quality latex paint to see what happens.

I wonder if you could use the latex paint remover they sell at Home Depot, rather than stripping.

• smcdani6
    12 years ago

Latex over oil is a big problem... I would advise using a latex stripper such as jasco to remove the top coat and expose the old oil coating... don't have to go down to bare wood, just get under the coat that is the problem... from that point use an oil primer to prep the surface, make sure the primer you use will accept latex paint over the top... most do... prime the surfaces then you should have no problem changing over to a latex... hope this helps!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you smcdanii, helps a lot!

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

Painting latex over oil based paint is really not that big of a deal anymore, but the surface has to be prepped. If you paint directly over an old shiny oil based paint layer with some cheap latex paint, then there is probably going to be problems. You don't have to completely strip the latex paint layer. Just remove what is loose and sand well with medium grit sanding sponges. If you are going to prime, then a high quality acrylic bonding primer will be just fine. I don't think an oil based primer is necessary. And use a high quality topcoat, 100 percent acrylic. This is one of those times where using cheap paint is just a bad idea.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Yes Tinker....
    You're one of the waaaayyyy too many victims of the "Realtor-induced" Paint-the-trim-and-sell-it phenomenon.

I REALLLY WISH most sellers would leave well enough alone. Slapping-up a quick coat of paint usually causes MORE headaches for the new buyers. Sure....it looks good for a bit right before a sale, but then the reality of NO PREP sinks in!

Latex paint IS RUBBERY for quite some time! That's the major advantage....flexibility. If it was as hard as Oils, it wouldn't breathe.

The Truth/Remedy can be a b*tch....peel-off/sand-off/strip-off the existing paint. The existing paint not peeling now soon will be.

And yes, obviously, choose Top-notch 100%-Acrylic paint in a Satin or higher sheen. Once the old oil paint is thoroughly scuff-sanded with 100-grit paper & all dust removed...you're at last ready for 2 coats of your new paint.

Priming...wellllll....never hurts, but if you sand well, AND get real good paint, you're good-to-go!

Faron

• brede
    12 years ago

I'm currently renovating a home with just this exact problem - previous owner painted latex over oil-based trim without proper prep. In many areas, though not all, the paint is peeling. And yes, where it's peeling it does have a "rubbery" feel to it. The problem is not that difficult to fix, though it does add extra steps (and to my least-favorite painting job!).

You will probably find, as I have, that there are some areas where the latex has adhered well, and others where it hasn't. I use a putty knife to scrape off the paint where it's peeling, then I sand everything with a sanding sponge (it's green, 160-grit, I think). I then follow up with two coats of adhesion primer (Sherwin-Williams) and then two coats of my semi-gloss trim paint (also Sherwin-Williams).

I've been very happy with my results so far.

• Shawn King
    6 years ago

birdflu,

I know this is an older post...but thank you!! you saved me weeks of scraping and lots of shoulder pain! I used your advice for the wallpaper steamer and it works amazingly! Still alot of work and a frustrating hassle but not nearly what I started! Great tip!

• roseypeony
    5 years ago

I think over time the rules have changed about latex over oil. "Back in the day" - pre 1980's - you would never put latex over oil. Even with sanding, it would not adhere over the long run. Latex has improved adhesion since.

That said, I have a 1900 home that has this issue all over the place, from the 1960's updating- particularly in the kitchen cabinets where paint flakes down into the dishes. Planning to address this summer. But not looking forward to getting into stripper inside cabinets, or sanding, as I am sure there is lead in the base layers. The idea of the wallpaper steamer sounds IDEAL! I am going to try it.

That said, in other rooms on woodwork, I just peeled what was loose, lightly wet sanded, and then primed with a good thick primer (Behr trim primer) before covering with new water based paint. So far, no problem with it peeling up from underneath. I think the new latex/acrylic/alkyd paints dry harder.

• jest4fun71
    5 years ago

I am dealing with latex paint that was slapped onto walls that were probably oil based or perhaps were really grimmey and not prepped The previous homeowner wanted to spiffy up the place for a sale. Ugh. What a mess now. The wall paint peels off the walls in some places like bad nailpolish. Half the house has been gutted but three bedrooms need a color change. I am afraid to paint over this rubbery surface. Does anyone have a suggestion ?

• sloyder
    5 years ago

You need to remove the paint, with scrapers, heat guns, ammonia. Then apply a good adhesion primer (KIlz). Sounds like the prep was not done properly,

• Frank Beifus
    2 years ago

if you are going to paint latex over oil they make an acid in a plastic container that you brush on with a throw away brush .all you need to do it get it wet with the acid and it will etch the surface of the oil paint to were the latex will stick..i have used it many times .i have seen were people have said latex over oil is not a problem but if you have 30 doors and all the trim it is a big deal...if the latex is falling off then your job will be easyer. after you get all the latex off you can either sand it to break the surface of the paint or do the acid. the acid is quicker. you do not have to sand it to the bone.

• Mollie Merna
    last year

Frank what is the name of this acid product ?