Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texture Ceiling: Primer needed?

Posted by tom418 (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 9:45

I'm planning on painting a textured ceiling for the first time. It isn't a "popcorn", acoustic ceiling like one found in motel rooms, but it is the type that sheetrockers apply so as to cover up drywall joints.

The paint dealer told me that I would need a primer coat if the ceiling was not sealed before. Is there any way that I can tell if it was sealed? Do sheetrockers do this as a matter of course? Note: I can see numerous "dark spots" when I look up at the ceiling. Is that a sign that it was NOT sealed?

I do have primer (Zinsser). Any harm in applying it anyway?

I was present when I had my attic finished, and those sheetrockers used a "titanium paint" That finish is very similar to what I am painting, if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texture Ceiling: Primer needed?

Do sheetrockers do this as a matter of course?

NO

Any harm in applying it anyway?

No

"titanium paint"????
I have been applying paint for 30 years and never heard of that

o

Thanks christophern.

The link below describes what titanium paint is:
for anyone who has never heard of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Titanium paint

o

You need drywall sealing paint for that first coat ... it's white, but it can be lightly tinted if you want a pastel ceiling. it's extremely high in the resins that seal things, really low on pigments.

It makes a huge difference in how the coats of regular paint go on.

o

Titanium dioxide,is in virtually all paint. Titanium paint is not a paint in and of itself.

o

Thank you lazygardens, and Christopher. I primed the ceiling yesterday with Zinsser's 1-2-3- Bullseye primer.
The can indicated coverage of 100 sq feet/quart, and I used almost three times that. Now I can understand the lack of acceptance many people have of popcorn and textured ceilings.

The builder was supposed to have applied a "primer and one coat of paint" as per my contract. I guess ceilings were not included.

Thanks to both of you.

o

Titanium paint? Like alcohol-whiskey or electric TV?

o

titanium paint was a brand of paint sold, in most places that had benjamin moore. been around since early 80"s
but has made no real splash in the industry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here