Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Is this estimate reasonable?

piscesgirl
12 years ago

We live in a 35 year old brick 2 story house (2,300 sq ft) in the suburbs of Philadelphia. The windows are newer vinyl windows but the trim around them is wood. The paint on the window trim is peeling and needs to be repainted.

We received a quote for the following:

Windows: 18 double hung windows and 1 large fixed window. Prep (sand down pealing paint), paint with primer and then paint white (paint just wood trim, not the vinyl).

Door Entry: Paint entry vestibule and entry doors (2 french doors).

See link for picture of the front of the house.

Quote was for $2,200 including all painting supplies.

Is this reasonable? I know trim work is more labor intensive, but I would have thought it would be much less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front of our house

Comments (4)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Essentially you have 22 pieces of work and they are doing each piece for $100.

What does it cost to employ a painter - salary, benefits, insurance and taxes - maybe $50 per hour?

If the painter spends 45 minutes on each piece to sand, prime and paint, then that's $825 of work time, plus there is travel and down time. So probably half the cost is in the labor.

Then you consider the various components of running a business:

One gallon of primer, one gallon white paint, one gallon red paint - $100.
    Sander, extension cord, sanding paper, ladders, brushes, goggles, face mask, etc.
    Vehicle, vehicle maintenance, gasoline
    And probably a dozen other things that I'm not aware of since I have never run a business.

Add it all up and it sounds reasonable to me.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Yeah...

Consider what YOU would do the job for, taking all the business-expenses Graywings laid-out into account.
    I wouldn't touch it for less than that!

A painters' job involves far more than just "slingin'-a-brush" and a couple gallons of paint!!
    They have to stay in business, and get paint decently for a sometimes tricky craft.

I'm on the retail-paint end of things, but I'm very familiar
    with what the painters have to charge...and why!!

Faron

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Best bet to get multiple bids from quality minded, reputable painters in your area. Ask around for those who have the best reputations. They might seem pricy to you but a decent painter that does it right will save you money in the long haul. Pay now or pay later!

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Best bet to get multiple bids from quality minded, reputable painters in your area. Ask around for those who have the best reputations. They might seem pricy to you but a decent painter that does it right will save you money in the long haul. Pay now or pay later!

Good advise
    Go to a REAL paint store and ask for names.