Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BM Aura light over dark

Posted by Marc12345 (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 9:30

My apologies for asking something that's probably been asked many times, but I didn't find a clear answer in a similar enough example.

We're painting a bedroom, the walls are currently Behr Toffee Crunch (700D-S) according to the leftover paint cans, and we're looking to paint to BM Aura silverly blue.

I've never used Aura before but have heard lots of raves about it, and if it saves time and requires fewer steps/coats I'm wondering if the increased cost of Aura would "pay for itself" so to speak compared to other brands where I'd expect to need to prime plus two. Should Aura cover this in two coats? Is priming first necessary (Aura advertises being self-priming, that true)?

I'm thinking if priming plus two coats is necessary, I might be better off saving money using a more standard paint, but if it saves an additional coat and time, it'd be worth it. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BM Aura light over dark

Most paints will cover that color in two coats. You shouldn't need to prime, but priming plus two coats finish is the best system you can use for painting anything. All paints are really 'self priming' these days, so this doesn't really make Aura special. What does make Aura special is that it covers great when you are painting with a dark color over a light one and that the dried paint film is very durable. So, when you think about trying to save money, think about how long this paintjob will last comparing to using cheaper paints because they won't be as washable and you may need to repaint sooner!

o

What he ^ said.

o

Thanks for your help. The info made me more comfortable working under a tight schedule, and the two coats did a great job and the paint was much better to work with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here