Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What sheen should I use

Posted by betsy29 (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 9:04

Just remodeled my kitchen which now extends into my eating area/family rm. I plan on painting the entire area with the same color, there is very little painting to be done in the kitchen area, due to backsplash. Some of the area is high traffic, where we come in from garage/area around patio dr, the rest is basciall fam rm walls. There are some imperfections on one wall, (in dark area) due to my lack of skills at drywall repair. Flat, eggshell or satin? Help me decide! (If it helps I am an empty nester with no grandkids yet!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What sheen should I use

eggshell

o

Matte finish will make imperfections less obvious.

o

Eggshell is typical it's what most people run with, Satin will most likely be too bright and show off all of your handywork... flat will hide your imperfections the best... however durability is not there with the flat... if the paint you are looking at has a sheen between flat and eggshell this may perhaps be the winner, I know Ben Moore has a matte finish that looks great after cure... gives the durability of eggshell without the sheen.

o

Matte is marketed as being as durable as eggshell but I still haven't really found one that really is that durable. Aura Matte is probably the best one out there, but really if you want true durability, you need to use an eggshell. Yes, it's shiny, but that is the tradeoff.

o

It's all relative too....

My FPE Eurolux "Matte" looks like a standard EGGSHELL!
My C2 "Matte" is much closer to a "Flat"...just the slightest sheen.

Use Eggshell!
Very washable....WHEN FULLY CURED....

Faron

o

http://fortheloveofahouse.blogspot.com/p/paint-colors.html

this is one of the best blogs I have seen for information.
She gives colors and sheens for every room and they are magnificent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here