Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best exterior paint for Hardy Plank & best caulk

Posted by kntryhuman (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 8:01

We're getting ready to paint the exterior of our house. Part of the house is existing Hardy Plank and part is new Hardy Plank. Does the old plank need to be prepped other than pressure washing?

What's the best way to caulk seams in the plank?

What's the best paint? I've read SW Duration, BM Aura or Lowe's Valpar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best exterior paint for Hardy Plank & best caulk

I've heard Duration paint is the best, hands-down. It's more expensive, but I've had 2 different paint experts tell me about that particular brand and it's the only one they use on exterior jobs now.

I'm about to get the masonite siding taken off my house and replaced with preprimed Hardiplank and I specified the paint to be used has to be Duration. I'm trying to pick my color now.

As for caulking, I don't know anything about technique, but as for a product I've been told that Sherwin Williams "Sher-max" is the one to use as it is an elastomer caulk that will last and last.

Good luck!

o

We used Ace Brand semi opaque stain and it worked wonderfully. It's an oil based stain, but it lasts forever.

o

1. Hardy Plank cannot be stained.

2. James Hardie does not recommend the use of caulk at field butt joints.

3. For Caulking. For best results use an Elastomeric Joint Sealant complying with ASTM C920 Grade NS, Class 25 or
higher or a Latex Joint Sealant complying with ASTM
C834. Caulking/Sealant must be applied in accordance
with the caulking/sealant manufacturer’s written
instructions or ASTM C1193.

4. DO NOT use stain on James Hardie® products.
James Hardie products must be painted within 180
days for primed product and 90 days for unprimed.
100% acrylic topcoats are recommended.
Do not paint when wet. For application rates refer to
paint manufacturers specifications.
Back-rolling is recommended if the siding is sprayed.

5. DO NOT use stain or oil/alkyd base paints on James Hardie® products

o

Excellent info, Brushworks. Thanks!

o

Thank you very much for the information.

We decided to use Duration from Sherwin Williams.

I didn't realize there was a time limit on getting it painted. We're putting the siding up ourselves and it's taking forever.

I'm glad I didn't start using the wood filler I bought for the joints. I'll have to get the Elastomeric Joint Sealant

o

Brushworks, you wrote:

"2. James Hardie does not recommend the use of caulk at field butt joints."

I had read this in the instructions while my HardiePlank was being installed and was not sure what it meant. Please explain. If caulking field butt joints is not recommended, then are the gaps between the joints supposed to be left gaping? I know my installer filled the seams with caulk/sealant.

o

When I watched the installation video (which is online) they recommended using a felt paper flashing behind each joint of the siding. Basically it's just a rectangular square of felt paper that you nail under the joint so that any water that might get between the joints will run out on the flashing paper. You might want to check out the installation video.

o

SW Duration. I painted my house with it last year. I used the satin finish. Has a bit of a sheen of course but I like the way the rain runs off it. It's great paint. I went from gray to tan in one coat pretty much. I am sure I would have had to use 2 coats with cheaper stuff, even their cheaper stuff, well worth the extra cost. The stuff is thick but goes on really nice. Don't use to thick of nap on roller, it gets too heavy and wastes a lot of paint. I think I used 1/2".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here