Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open floor plan / sharing wall

Posted by jen4t25 (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 7:33

We are renovating our new (old) home & broke down walls to basically make the living-room, dining room & kitchen all 1 room (one big square room. raised ranch). I plan to make everything a tan & not sure if I should just paint everything the same color. I'd like to use 2 different shades of the same color (use 2 different tans from the same paint card). My problem is the living-room & dining room share a wall. (The kitchen will be all cabinets & tile so very little paint will be seen there.) What do people usually do? I don't really want a line in the middle of the sharing wall with the dining room & living room. I was also thinking to make North & South walls one shade then the West & East walls another shade? Probably just 1 shade different.

Would love any suggestions. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open floor plan / sharing wall

Post some photos of the area on the Home Decorating forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating forum

o
RE: Open floor plan / sharing wall

I agree with graywings that you'll get more feeback on home decor. I asked a similar question recently since my living room and kitchen are essentially one room, and I was pretty much told to use one wall color unless I absolutely had to do one wall differently for interest. I've also heard not to do an accent wall unless you have something special to accentuate (ie: a fireplace). It was also recommended to use the same flooring throughout if possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here