Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyne921

Lighter Version of BM Twilight Gold

E K
12 years ago

After painting 6 swatches of various coffee/caramel beige colors on our master bedroom wall, I have narrowed my favorite down to Benjamin Moore's Twilight Gold. It has just the right amount of orange, yellow; there's no green or grey in it. The only problem is that it's too dark! BM is closed today and tomorrow and we are planning to color match/lighten at Home Depot using Behr paint. My question is whether anyone knows of a color that is one or two shades lighter than Twilight Gold. For example, if anyone has a BM fandeck, etc. or whether someone can provide a formula that I could follow. Should I ask Home Depot to use 75% or 50% concentration? I'm a novice at this, so so thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

I see a couple problems.

1. Twilight Gold 1069 is from the Classic Colors collection. Like most paint manufacturers, paint colors strips are NOT a literal stepping up from darkest color to lightest. It is not starting out with one dark color and then making 5 or 6 lighter versions of it on the strip.

All the colors on a typical paint color strip are literally different colors. Now, they are all on one strip because they have more characteristics and factors in common than not -- they are closely related. Could say they are all color children of the same hue parents.

It's a family thing, not a cloning thing.

It's not one color cloned into various degrees darkest to lightest.

That's why advice that states look at the darkest color on the strip and then 'go up to the 3rd or 4th color on the strip' and pick your color is SUPER BAD ADVICE.

With that said, a close family member that is lighter than Twilight Gold 1069 would be Squire Hill Buff 1068.

2. Taking another brand to the Home Depot makes any form of reason or technical color logic pointless. Claims of "color matching" from big box stores is the same as throwing a dart in the dark. Who knows what you're going to get. Their version of Twilight Gold might match your BenM chip, might not. Won't know until they mix it -- and it's essentially a custom color which means you own the can whether you like it or not.

Just remember they can always make a color darker, add more colorant. But ya can't lighten a color, can't take colorant out. So, tell them to err on the side of lighter.

• ni_cole
    12 years ago

I work for the other "big box store" and in most cases we are able to match colors from other vendors paint chips either by using our fandeck in the computer or by the color matching machine. I have had customers ask for a reduction in the formula by so much in percentage and be happy with it. If you have it mixed in the store and it does not work, there is no loss to the customer, just the store. It is worth trying.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

ni cole - it's great that your store doesn't make customers buy their custom colors. Not all stores work that way tho. There seems to be some inconsistency - some employees will tell customers that they have to buy the can of paint once it's mixed. To be fair, I personally know that's happened at independent Ben Moore stores too.

Guess the bottom line is for custom color mixing you need to know who you're working with and what the terms are. Don't assume everyone/every store operates like Faron or ni cole.