Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lionheart12

painting bedroom - cutting in and ceiling touch up

Lionheart12
12 years ago

Is it best to cut in the whole room, let it dry and then roll out the paint?

I am using SW Cashmere Flat and I have already cut in two walls, but am not sure if I should continue.

Also, while I was cutting in my first coat of paint I accidentally touched onto the ceiling a bit, should I go around the perimeter of my room with the leftover ceiling paint I have?

One last question. While rolling out my ceiling (the hardest thing to do in the world), I noticed I missed very minute spots on the stroke. Can I touch up by using a brush and feathering out the strokes to even out the look? I am using behr ceiling flat.

thanks.

Comments (7)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I'm just a DIYer, not a pro painter, and I have the same issues with applying paint that you appear to have. My responses would be:

-- Yes, cut in, dry, then roll

-- Yes, touch up the ceiling

-- Touchups of flat ceiling paint are a breeze. I went back with a roller where needed and also did some touch ups with a brush. You cannot see the touchups.

And I agree, there is nothing fun about rolling a ceiling. A couple years ago one of the pro painters here described how he painted a ceiling. He didn't use a ladder, he worked standing on the floor with the roller on the end of a pole. He described the process as walking the roller across the ceiling instead of standing in one place and moving his arms.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Exactly what GW said!!

Faron

• Lionheart12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know in one topic, paintguy said to brush slightly into the ceiling when cutting in.

Have anyone tried this? It would help if I could see some picture samples.

• Lionheart12
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok update. I finished the first coat of paint - rolling and cutting. It came out great.

I still need to do a second coat to cover up the underlying paint though. Is it easy to do a second coat of flat paint? What I mean is does the fact that I am using flat paint affect how the second layer of paint will go on?

The first coat went on like butter, but given that I had some trouble painting the ceiling in flat (behr ceiling flat), I am hesitant to try the second coat of SW paint on the walls.

Im still debating how I should approach fixing the cut in line. I did creep up into the ceiling slightly but my lines were not consistent. I am wondering if I should use an artist brush to create that straight line illusion.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Yes, an artist's brush will work if you didn't get too much paint in the wrong place. I have touched up the work of really bad painters and have used a 1.5 inch or 2 inch angled brush. They hold more paint than an artist's brush.

A second coat of paint is as easy as the first.

• sofaspud
    12 years ago

With flat, the second coat should go on like the first one. My experience with other finishes has been succeeding coats go on a little differently than the prior one, but it's not anything to worry about. SW is pretty good paint, so you shouldn't have any problems at all.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

The first coat went on like butter, but given that I had some trouble painting the ceiling in flat (behr ceiling flat), I am hesitant to try the second coat of SW paint on the walls.

Stay away from the above mentioned paint and you will have no problems.The second coat should go on easier than the first and the more you do it the straighter you're ceiling lines will get.