Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orbitybaby

To paint, or not to paint original stained oak wood?

orbitybaby
10 years ago

I recently bought a 1930's colonial and there are two rooms on the first floor that still have what appears to be the original (restained) oak trim woodwork, while all of the upstairs second floor rooms and the two additional rooms on the downstairs first floor have all been painted white by the previous owners.

I plan to stain all of the floors with ZAR brand stain in mocha color with a satin poly finish (which is on the dark side) and wondering if I should keep the stained wood trim downstairs, or also paint it.

The walls in these two rooms will be painted from the current green and beige to a medium gray paint color (probably Benjamin Moore Stonington or Coventry Gray) in these downstairs rooms. Seems like restaining to a compatible color to the new floors may be a lot of work, but If we opt to restain rather than paint, what color should we go with? Also, does anyone know what stain color appears to currently be on this woodwork?

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

This post was edited by orbitybaby on Sun, May 26, 13 at 6:38

Comments (5)

• orbitybaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adding more pictures

• orbitybaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Panoramic

• orbitybaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last picture

• User
    10 years ago

I would leave the trim and floors the way they are. The dark woodwork and the oak floor look good in these rooms. Could you find a wall color that works with the trim and floor, and the age of the house? The beige looks good, maybe use a shade darker?

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Your post reads like you are considering two options. If you refinish the floors (a lot of work and mess) they would have to be sanded, re-stained and re-sealed. A darker stain (as you mentioned) would look nice ... a mocha color or something with a warmer brownish hue. If this is your route ... I'd leave the window mouldings alone (which look like pine but I'm not sure). Matching stains on different woods is challenging but do-able. If you re-stain the floors, would you refinish the stairs too? The stringer looks like an oak veneer but the spindles and bannister look like solid oak. I see your challenge as you have about 3 or 4 wood stains going on.

Are you going to keep those blinds? and the curtains? The blinds kinda look cool with the current floor (which is in very good shape by-the-way and I like it too -- as the poster above mentioned). Your plan should depend on what you DISLIKE the most and go from there.

What I would do (DIYer that I am with a limited budget) is ... keep the floors as is. Paint the window mouldings your wall color selection. Remove the curtains, keep the blinds or change the blinds to be the new wall color. Paint the stair stringer cladding and the spindles your wall color -- keep the bannister as is. Bascially, get the wood floors and what elements of the stairs you want "woody" in a similar stain. Paint anything that doesn't fit that plan.

You might want to try the Home Decorating Forum too.