Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jp79st

painting exterior door

jp79st
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a fiberglass front door that has a artificial wood grain and stained wood look to it. The outside of the door gets several hours of direct sun in the afternoon, and that has left it looking very weathered after only three years. Now it's time to do something about it, and so I'm going to repaint it. I don't care about recreating the stained wood look it originally had, and so I'm going to repaint it a solid color. I have no clue about what paint sticks to what kind of surface, or about the prep needed to paint whatever surface, so I asked for some advice. I got conflicting advice, and so I thought I'd post here in search of a consensus on the best procedure for painting the door. In any case here are the two pieces of advice I have gotten so far.

(1) Sand the door with 100 grit sandpaper, then apply an exterior primer, then paint with a quality exterior latex paint.

or

(2) Clean the door with TSP. No need to sand. No need to prime. Then paint with a quality exterior latex paint.

Of course, the second one is much easier, and if it'd get me the same end result, that's what I'll do.

Comments (2)