Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porous Plaster Walls to Paint...Will Bin Seal It?

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 1:03

The wallpaper has been stripped from the plaster walls and they have received 2 washings to remove the excess paste. They appear a little porous... Is Bin enough to seal the plaster or do I need to apply a skim coat of joint compound. I don't want to create any more work than I have to do but I want it to look good. What are your thought???? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porous Plaster Walls to Paint...Will Bin Seal It?

I would use Gardz instead of BIN. You may also want to give the walls a quick sand before priming.

o

I would use Gardz instead of BIN.

Absolutely

Here is a link that might be useful: gardz

o

I always use a heavy-bodied oil primer like Moore's Fresh Start (not fast-dry) on old plaster, all the more if on old wallpaper paste residue.
If there are nubs of stuff still stuck from washing the wallpaper residue, you could give a once-over with a sanding sponge or pole sander to knock them off, or just sand after priming.
When you pick up a gallon of that primer, you'll feel how heavy it is; that's the solids, it's a high-fill/build primer, and it's sandable if you need it to be, like if you want super-smooth work.
Casey

o

Posted by europaintjohn (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 10 at 16:22

If this are real plaster walls and not skimcoat over board I expect they are very thirsty. The classic procedure is as follows:
... Pole sand walls with 150 grit paper till uniform. Not a serious sanding but rather a good scuff.
...Wash walls with solution of 1 part white vinegar and 3 parts warm water. Feel free to use mop.
...Allow walls to dry for at least 3 days
...Prime walls with real oil primer such as Oil primer from Fine Paints of Europe. Apply with 3/8th nap roller and allow to dry overnight.
...Pole sand walls with 220 paper till smooth before painting. If primer has been absorbed into plaster you must apply a second coat of primer in order to obtain uniform film build before painting.
Call experts at Fine Paints for furthur guidance.
This "guidance" is all well and good for selling your product but it is not necessary to put oil on the plaster.Gardz does a fine job, much, much,much,cheaper and it is NOT oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here