Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Matching Paint to Hardwood Floors

Posted by mattremodel (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 0:50

My wife and I are picking out paint colors for a house we just purchased. We are a little concerned about getting a paint color that will match well with the existing wood floors which are in the family room, dining room, and halls. Below is a link to one of the rooms with the floors:

We like neutral colors and were initially considering Behr's Sandstone Cove:

We like it in some of the pictures we've seen. However, we fear it may not be warm enough given the hardwood floors. So, we are considering other colors that appear warmer such as Raffia Cream, Cornerstone, or Lightweight Beige.

Any thoughts on these colors or any others that would go with the floors?

Thanks,

Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Matching Paint to Hardwood Floors

I agree that the colors you've posted won't be good with your floors. The floors (at least on my monitor) have a goldish/reddish glow which is beautiful. I'd suggest that you look for paints with a yellowish hue to them. Most of what you pictured looks greyish to me.

Alot of the Benjamin Moore color cards have an indicator of W or C (warm or cold). Look for warm.

o

BM Subtle.

Michael

o

I suggest that you use something in a light or medium light peach color. I finished my oak floors years ago with Zar Cherry Stain and finally found that Peach looks the best. Be careful about peaches. Some peaches can look either orange or pink in certain lights. I suggest that you purchase a small amount of paint and test a wall area, maybe
Floor to Ceiling to get a feel for the color before you paint. You may consider doing a different wall in a room with an accent color to add to the effect. I used a yellow years ago in my kitchen. I hated that color, it was like living in a banana. You could also use a very light mauve color or rose type color. Much of the problem with the color choices you have is that they are too muddy. Choose some cleaner colors, but not too bright.

o

This may not appeal to you, but the grey-blue/greens you posted would complement the floors nicely. I've got yellow pine floors and cherry cabinetry and am using BM's Night Mist (1569) on the walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here