Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjboyle_gw

good primer for the price (value)?

sjboyle
13 years ago

I need to prime about 1000sq' of drywall. I've been reading through all your posts for the answer but couldn't find anything definitive.

I'm a little of scared poppin' ($) for 5 gal of Moore primer. Behrs @ $60 is tempting but I know how everyone feels about that.

I don't see a lot about it, but I read someone's post elsewhere about Pittsburgh: "For a more affordable under-rated primer/sealer for new drywall, try the Pittsburgh Speed Hide primer/sealer for new drywall Although it's called a "contractor grade" (a nice way of calling it cheap), it is a spectacular performing primer/sealer for new drywall I use and can recommend using for even high end jobs"

Thanks.

Steven

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    13 years ago

Is there a question?

• sjboyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you.

What is the best mid priced primer in terms of bang for your buck?

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Kind of a silly question though....

The desire to skimp on primers kind of escapes me. Cheap, and even "mid-grade" primers pale in comparison to top-line primers.

* With ONE coat of a top-notch primer, you're LITERALLY putting on 3 coats of cheap/mid-grade stuff.
    * Top primers have MUCH higher solids-levels and better resins for plugging-up thirsty drywall/tape joints.
    * This shows off your Paint-topcoats a lot better, for a longer time.
    * Therefore, you're ADDING much more than the cost of good primer to the VALUE of your home.
    * Knowing what I know now about paints/primers...I don't even LOOK at contractor-grades.
    * A good 5G primer will run anywhere from $75-$110.

(A night-out with the family will eat up more $$ than the difference between cheap and top-shelf primers...)

Faron

• sjboyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK then... which one can I get for $75?

• PRO
    13 years ago

try Duron or just use the Pittsburgh it is fine

Here is a link that might be useful: primer

• Faron79
    13 years ago

As many "Paint-forum-frequenters" here know, I work in a busy paint-dep't at an ACE store, where we've also got the unusual combination of Ralph-Lauren & C2 (a high-end paint-line).

In the ACE series, my 1st choice for you would be the ACE-Royal Enamel-Undercoater.
    2nd choice in ACE...the ACE-Royal PVA primer.

1st choice in C2...the C2-One primer, ~$115/5G. This is an excellent Int/Ext stain-blocking Latex primer...very versatile. Probably even a little better than Zinsser's 123 primer, which is very good too.
    2nd choice in C2...C2's WBP (Wall-board primer). This'll be ~ $80/5G.

Use your phone and call around! Easy shoppin' that way!

Faron

• sjboyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great thanks.

In SW or BM what is a good all round primer? I thought I saw BM's Superhide 284 as the recommendation here, but my local store is saying they don't carry that anymore.

SW:______ Primer (name)

BM:_______ Primer (name)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Just call their stores and inquire about their better/best interior LATEX primers. Again, ignore the Contractor-grade/Professional levels....there's much better choices.

IMO...if you're going through the same set of arm-movements, I want the best stuff going on the wall.
    Contractor-grades are nearly a waste of $$, for the same amount of work.

IN A WAY...the price of the primer "should be" almost irrelevant. The $$-value a top-notch primer/paint-job adds to the value, appearance, wear, and re-sale FAR outweighs the cost of the primer itself.
    ...kind of a no-brainer...

Faron

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

I use BM's Super Spec primer for drywall usually. It's mid grade quality.

• sjboyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys - I picked up a 5'r of SuperSpec 253. Pricing here in Denver was $67.

• sjboyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay guys - bought a 5'r of BMSUPerSpec 253 ($67) Thanks.

This is my first time working with an interior primer. Is it supposed to seem kinda thin? My reference point is regular latex paint. It seems to really stick to my hands more latex paint.

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

Yes, generally primer is thinner bodied than paint.

• PRO
    13 years ago

This is my first time working with an interior primer. Is it supposed to seem kinda thin? My reference point is regular latex paint. It seems to really stick to my hands more latex paint.

You're supposed to paint the walls, not you're hands.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Drywall sealant/primer is thinner and may be stickier than top coats.

1 - it's meant to soak into the drywall
    2 - it's meant to be sprayed