Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littledonkey1107

Need to finalize SW interior paint asap

littledonkey
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster and need to pick my interior paint ASAP. Can only go with Sherwin Williams paint. I've looked back through older posts discussing SW but most seem to compare SW to BM or other paint companies as opposed to doing a comparison of the different SW paint lines. So:

Which of their lines would you recommend: Emerald, Duration, Harmony, Cashmere, Superpaint?

The painting must be done by painters contracted by my building's management company (so I'd like to think they are experienced painters but who knows).

I was thinking of matte in all rooms other than kitchens and bathrooms since it seems like satin might make more sense in those rooms.

Have no problem paying for Emerald so long as enough of you think it's a decent product.

Thanks so much.

Comments (20)

• bugbite
    9 years ago

Superpaint is scrubbable.

This post was edited by bugbite on Sun, May 4, 14 at 19:51

• bugbite
    9 years ago

Superpaint is scrubbable.

This post was edited by bugbite on Sun, May 4, 14 at 19:53

• littledonkey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have read reviews of all the options but there are good and bad reviews for all of them which is why I wanted to turn to this trustworthy site.

I don't want sheen on my walls so I guess Cashmere would be eliminated then.

So do you all not think Emerald is good, or just that superpaint is also good?

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

Cashmere comes in flat. I think Emerald is over rated. I have not been impressed with it at all. It's certainly OK, even very good, but I would not use it over Cashmere and or super paint

• littledonkey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for chiming in, christophern. Can you expound upon why you would not use Emerald over Cashmere or SuperPaint? It seems like Emerald is washable whereas the others aren't, unless I'm missing something.

Also, I think Cashmere comes in flat enamel - is that the same thing as flat/matte?

Thanks so much.

• bugbite
    9 years ago

When you click Superpaint it says "Excellent scrubbability". Guess if you can scrub it, you can wash it. Almost 5 stars; that's one reason I am going with. Click the ratings link, plus the one in the next post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ratings

This post was edited by bugbite on Sun, May 4, 14 at 19:47

• bugbite
    9 years ago

Check the link below. Click "Skip this ad" if an ad appears..

Here is a link that might be useful: Ratings worth looking at.

This post was edited by bugbite on Mon, May 5, 14 at 11:13

• PRO
    9 years ago

All quality paints are washable. I have found( for the $) Cashmere to be just as good as Emerald( if I was to use SW paint). It is hard to explain why

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

All paints are marketed as washable, even cheap flats. This is called marketing and marketing is filled with lies. Because of the marketing and lies, it's very easy to get confused about which paints are washable and which are not. The Cashmere Flat Enamel is a washable flat. I usually use the low lustre. Low lustre is more durable than flat but it has some shine. The sheen level to me is pretty low, which is really why I like it. If you really, really, really hate having any shine, then use the flat, but don't expect too much durability from it. I have never used Emerald, so I don't have an opinion about that. Super Paint is okay, but most people can afford the Cashmere so that is my go to line from Sherwin.

• bugbite
    9 years ago

Paintguy and Christopherm, Sorry to hijack this but I am impressed with you comments and want to know more.
    Paintguy what makes Superpaint just OK; why is Cashmere better to you? Same question to Christopherm, please. This will be important when I finally do pick a paint.
    I painted with 11 brands over my painting life and maybe 1-3 types under each brand (counted them last night) when trying to remember which I liked best I kept going back to what characteristics I hated. During application, #1 hate was crap in the paint, having to prestrain. (see note on this at the bottom). #2 was running and the list goes on and on..doesn't level, too thick, too thin, etc.
    Post painting performance has it's own list...poor cleaning, chipping (see note at bottom), suedeing, barnishing; it goes on and on.
    So what makes Superpaint OK and Cashmere better besides the $10 price difference? ...during painting and after painting performance.
    Need to strain: I visited a paint manufacturer plant and saw something that explained it to me. The idiot did not open the bag of chemical and dump it in the batch, he slit the bag and throw the whole bag in. The paper pulp from the bag was what I was picking out of their paint.
    Chipping: Did a lot of research on this..testing many primer/paint combos. Finally concluded that it had to do with the reaction of some primers with specific paints and of the primer with the substrate.
    I have not painted for about a year and have to do a 3000 sq ft house so I am interested in you specific comments.

This post was edited by bugbite on Mon, May 5, 14 at 11:12

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

Super Paint is just cheaper. It's cheaper because of the ingredients in the paint, particularly titanium dioxide. This means it will not be as durable as the Cashmere. Will you notice a difference? Maybe or maybe not....depends on what you are demanding from your walls. As for the application, I think the Cashmere flows out better when rolling.

• bugbite
    9 years ago

Thanks Paintguy! Just had a professional painter over to bid of some drywall work. Asked him what paint he used. He said, "I can pay extra for the paint or I can pay extra to my employees to use a cheaper paint. So I choose to pay extra for the paint and save on labor costs." I said, well, which paint,then? He said Sherwin-Williams Superpaint.
    He is one of the best painters in the city. So that does it for me.

• PRO
    9 years ago

You would be happier with the Cashmere, just sayin.

• bugbite
    9 years ago

Easy to do. One color in Superpaint; one in Cashmere. Worth a test. Could even try Regal or Optimus.

This post was edited by bugbite on Mon, May 5, 14 at 22:47

• bugbite
    9 years ago

Hmm... Valspar Optimus will be BOGO at Ace on May 17th.

This post was edited by bugbite on Mon, May 5, 14 at 22:48

• Kat Hennelly
    7 years ago

My personal opinion Emerald looks better overall, but it's expensive. Cashmere is easier to apply. I have always used Superpaint in the past and I've been happy with it, but I love the look of Emerald in the living room, dining room and master bedroom. It's a beautiful finish.

• krwt28
    7 years ago

Kat Hennelly, which finish did you use in the Emerald?

• er1998
    7 years ago

This is an old thread, but I'll chime in - just had my kitchen done in a very light color, Emerald in a matte. It looks great - not quite flat, but darn close. A few days after it was done, a carbonated RED drink exploded - walls, ceiling, everywhere. Wiped right off with ease, and I was shocked. GREAT paint.

• krwt28
    7 years ago

Thanks, er1998!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES