Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Pricing based on color selection

igloochic
10 years ago

Hello Professionals (this is said in the hope one will read this).

Can you help me with the logic of paint pricing from my contractor?

I am using five paint colors (doing a large building). All are spec'ed as sherwin williams, high end of their pro line (Can't remember the name, though all sheens and number of coats are the same). They are wanting to charge based on the paint base (ultra deep, deep, extra light, etc). The paints aren't priced as such and are going on preprimed and prepared walls. All colors will cover in two coats (I've used them all in different locations). I understand some additional costs for rooms containing multiple colors due to the extra work to cut in, but they're talking a significant difference in price because of the color selection and number of colors being used.

This is a large company who will have several painters on site so it's not one old man dipping a brush and cleaning it :) Why the additional cost?

Oh....just to be clear, these are all in the green/gold family, none are red or burgundy.

Thanks in advance. I'm ok if it's normal, but this is the first time I've seen this pricing structure from a painter.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

If two painters ever agreed on what "primed and prepped" meant, I'd be surprised. Can tell a painter it's primed and prepped but he's still likely going to include some time/labor in the quote to prep them his way.

Two-coat coverage colors to a DIYer night not necessarily be the same to a pro. Additionally, formulas and colorants change more regularly than people might think and painters know that better than anyone. A color he/she used just one week prior that covered in two might not cover in THREE the next. It happens. Especially with yellows/golds.

My guess is the painter giving the bid has been burned and learned from it and is making sure he's covered (no pun intended) and not going to lose money on the notoriously challenging ultra deep, deep, light yellow colors.

More colors usually cost more money because of materials, labor, tools. Requires more brushes, rollers, pans and/or time/labor to wash brushes and rollers for color changes.

Plus, they have to plan a lot more to execute with multiple colors. It becomes a game of strategy as far as what colors to start where, first, last, etc. Overall, more colors equal more work and experiences painters know how to up-charge accordingly.

IMO, this is the sign of a painter who knows his business and you're probably going to end up with a great paint job.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you want to paint the building? You did a much better job of explaining this LOL This is a commercial job and the contractor does not want me to talk to the painter so getting a logical answer is challenging. His answer was that the ultra deep costs more than the light base (which isn't the case of course).

To be clear, I do expect an upcharge, I didn't know how much but I figured 20 or 30% more...not 300% which is part of what's left me confused.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Oh jeepers - 300% more? Guess I shoulda asked how much of an upcharge, lol!

Pricing (retail) can vary based on the base can of paint but it's usually just a couple dollars more for deep, glossier sheens, etc.

P.S. typing from iphone sorry about typos

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

fun colors pretty much said it all but 300% is downright criminal. I would make the contractor break down that charge for you. Painting multiple colors is going to cost a little more for labor, but him telling you the materials is going to cost 300% more is just wrong

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

It sounds like he's one of those guys that charges extra for whatever he can and then hopes the customer will just pay it and not notice or not care. It's the American way.