Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenziethada

Painting kitchen cabinets: BM Satin Impervo vs. BM Advance

KenzieThada
10 years ago

We are getting the keys to our new house this coming Monday, and the first thing on the to-do list is to paint the kitchen cabinets white (picture is attached...not sure exactly what type of wood/material the cabinets are made out of since we've only been able to see them in person a couple of times...but I'm guessing oak??). We have done our research and know it will be a big job, but luckily we have a whole month to work on the house before we have to move in.

As far as paint goes, we have narrowed it down to Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo (we're considering that in either the waterbourne version OR alkyd version) or Benjamin Moore Advance. I have read and heard good things about all of these, and I honestly can't decide which to go with. Advance is quite a bit cheaper at our BM supplier, so we will likely end up going with that unless someone can explain to me why Satin Impervo might be better? We are also still deciding on whether we'll brush on the paint or spray it on (we're looking at buying a Wagner 518080 Control Spray Max HVLP Sprayer, since that seems to have the best reviews under $200). Honestly, if I can be confident that we won't see brush/roller strokes after applying two thin coats of paint, we will probably just brush it on since we've never used a sprayer before.

Does anyone swear by either Impervo or Advance? And would we be better off spraying or sticking with high quality brushes and rollers?? Any advice would be SO appreciated!

Comments (17)

• KenzieThada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't expect to get a 100% perfect finish using brushes, I just don't want to walk into the kitchen and get hit in the eyes with super obvious brush marks all over my cabinets. :) A few friends of ours hand-painted their cabinets with some kind of crappy paint and put on thick, heavy coats and that's kind of the end result they got (they offered to help us paint ours...I politely declined, hehe). Thanks for the response!

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Proper prep and technique will do the job. I just hand painted our new kitchen cabinet doors with Satin Impervo water borne and they looks great. Do they look like they were sprayed? NO , but they look good.
    Of course, I have been doing this a long time.

• KenzieThada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would you say Satin Impervo Waterborne is superior to Advance then? Or just your preference? As far as prepping goes, so far we're planning on cleaning thoroughly with a no-rinse cleaner and sanding before applying one coat of a good primer (not sure exactly which primer yet either, of course). Does that sound right? Would you recommend we use an actual chemical deglosser as well or just stick to sanding/priming?

• PRO
    10 years ago

I used the Satin Impervo because I had some and I like the finish . Forget the chemical deglosser and stick with cleaning and sanding. Just make sure you get all the sanding dust cleaned as well. I would use BM's Fresh Start as a primer, second choice would be Zinsser's 123

• sumac
    10 years ago

I don't know if this will help, but I just painted a stack of cubbies made from furniture grade maple plywood with maple veneer on the cut sides (hubby built them).
    I used the Advance and a small skinny roller (not sure of the knapp size) but the kind with the closed end to get into corners and a light sanding (330 grit recommended for between paint coats) between coats. I let the first coat dry 24 hours before applying the second. I could not be happier with the results.
    Oh, I should have stated that the primmer we used was an oil based primer used to seal bare woods.
    Does it look sprayed on? Almost. The paint was very easy to work with and the coverage was good. I did two coats and am very happy with the results.

• KenzieThada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh awesome, thanks for sharing that! I'm feeling more and more reassured that I'll be fine using Advance and not buying a sprayer. :) My method will be pretty similar to yours, though I'll probably use a brush as well.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Kenzie you have the perfect kitchen for hand-painting kitchen cabinets. You are going to be amazed at the improvement if you follow Christopher's directions. Just don't skip any steps and take your time :).

You will see a little grain since your cabinets are oak, but that helps eliminate the look of brush marks also. I am one of those people who don't mind seeing the grain of oak - at least they look like real wood.

I have one question for Christoper: How does the BM Impervo and Advance compare to SW Pro-Classic as far as ease of applying?? My reason for asking is that I have used the Pro-Classic on a vanity and was very impressed with the quality of the finished product - just would like to know for future projects.

• PRO
    10 years ago

For me the pro classic was harder to work with, now this has bees 5 or 6 years ago when I used it. The finish was pretty much the same as Impervo.If you were happy with the way the pro classic went on, then by all means stick with it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

With the oak grain, the wood grain will always be very visible. You should look at painted oak cabinets to make sure that you are ok with that. Alternatively, if you are not set on white cabinets, I would look into General Finishes gel stain.

Here is a link that might be useful: gel stained oak cabinets

• kdhogfan6099
    8 years ago

Ive used and suggest kilz primer just one coat and dont go back over the primer when wet if you have the urge to, just let it dry unless its really bad, like a run etc. Wear nitrile gloves if you can. Buy wooster or purdy brand brushes and thinner using the benjamin moore satin impervo oil base paint. Paint door backs first lying flat to allow for flow of paint let dry 36 hours flip over and paint fronts and 36 hours and you will not believe how good they look, I have used this method and products 27 years and oul base rocks. Have fun.

• Lori
    7 years ago

How did the cabinets turn out? @KenzieThada

• Vicki
    7 years ago

I've used SW ProClassic and BM Impervo. SW ProClassic was by far easier to apply and did not show brush marks as much but does not stand up as well to scrubbing. BM Impervo shows more brush marks and takes more technique to apply but stands up way better through time.

• lam702
    7 years ago

I used Cabinet Coat, not as primer, as the finish coat. (Primed with Zinsser 123) The Cabinet Coat, along with a good Purdy brush, gave a smooth finish with no brush marks. As others have said, its all in the prep work.

• bankscorl
    6 years ago

I brushed Satin Impervo oil based paint 3 years ago on our handrails of our stairs to take them from a poly wood stain to a color (Dragon's Breath -dark gray) . I was totally amazed at how smooth the final result was! It looks as if it were sprayed. Not a single brush stroke to be seen. Yes, it took 24 hours to dry but in that time it leveled out completely. I had never paid $70+ for a gallon of paint but I am totally sold. And cured very hard. Durable! It still looks like I just painted it.

• Susan Allaway
    4 years ago

Do you know how BM Advanced Satin compares to Advanced Semi-gloss for kitchen cabinets?

• VERONICA NUNEZ
    2 years ago

Do you have to use a primer on oak kitchen cabinets with Impervo? From the reviews I've seen, it seems that you don't.