Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baseboard and trim rough

Posted by solrac6262 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 23:36

hello all.

I'm not an expert on painting, but I am trying to learn a little bit, I know a painter, that does work for me in my home, but last time he came to cut line on my baseboard and trim I noticed he left a lot of rough spots, what can cause this? dust, old brush, plus he was leaving some paint strokes..

I was using SW SWB alkyd eggsheel for trim.. he came back and sand looks better but now I'm not confident and probably want to try doing it my self..
should I get a good brush and maybe switch to a BM paint? just sand a little on the rough spots and repaint?

any recommendations are greatly appreaciated

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baseboard and trim rough

Yes, sanding will smooth out the basebaords. There is a chance that he is picking up junk from near the bottom of the baseboard and this is making the trim rough. Also, the paint could have bits of junk in it already. Paint gets this way when it sits for some time or it just naturally gets snotty while working with it for several days. You can fix this by straining with a paint strainer or some old nylons. Also, using a good brush helps with keeping the brush strokes to a minimum, but also good technique is important. If you dry brush the paint on or overbrush the paint, the brush marks will show up more. The key to painting without the brush marks is laying the paint on fairly heavy so that it can dry down into itself and the brush marks will dissipate. You just don't want to apply the paint so heavy that it sags though.

o
RE: baseboard and trim rough

thanks for the info Paintguy, I'll try that ..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here