Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Ellen Kennon - Yellows

Vertise
11 years ago

I am looking for a soft creamy yellow for a bedroom and want to go full spectrum. Ordered Ellen Kennnon's sample pouch and have some contenders.

Buttercream
Luminaire

The Buttercream looks kind of like a yellow beige sometimes, maybe by comparison, and the Luminaire more yellow. Has anyone seen these in real life? I don't want a strong yellow but not a more washed out cream either. A sense of yellow for sure. This is a northeastern exposure.

Love, love, love this yellow room. If you block out that upper part above the windows that is saturated, I'm looking for the more subdued portions.

If you know of any paint brand that looks like this on the walls, I can compare that, too. I'm trying to figure out what strength swatch goes on this way. I know they intensify when on all walls.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I had EK Buttercream in a previous house and liked it a lot. As you would expect from the name, it is a soft yellow. I used it in a large living-dining room. In a smaller room, it might look more intense. No experience with Luminaire.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, very pretty space! That is very soft. You can see how alive that FS is in the shadows.

The swatch looked so beige yesterday but I'm afraid the Luminaire might be too intense.

OT. Did you ever worry about glass paned doors? I would love to do one but would think it would be so easy for someone to break into.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Windows in doors and sidelights are difficult to break. It would be easier for a burglar to break the lock than the window.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting! Thanks. I prefer word of mouth experience to sales or advertising :)

• dretutz
    11 years ago

Try a sample of Benjamin Moore Soleil. I used it on ceilings and it a soft, buttery yellow. Very nice.

• Wolfpackmom
    11 years ago

snookums2 - Our back door is very similar - we have 5 rows of 3 panes. I was worried when builder put it in - our house butts up to the woods and it made me nervous since it is so dark back there. But husband said the same as graywings. I feel more comfortable the more I hear it. We have been here 7 years and no issues. Creamy yellow paint - love it - I don't have any suggestions, but I do love the color.

• darenka
    11 years ago

I have buttercream in my house as well, love it. It's very easy to live with, decorate around. I wasn't particularly impressed with it until I got it on 4 walls. Yellow definitely intensifies somehow. I'm not particularly good with paint color but I painted a whole house varying shades of yellow until I found one I liked. I have no experience with Luminaire (tried similar colors in other lines and found them a little too much for me--sort of like a too cheerful nursery.)

Another color you should try, I have a few rooms in Kennon's 'Wheat' and I like that very much too. This isn't my expertise, so I'm struggling here, but 'wheat' is a bit more yellow/golden. Buttercream has a pinky/red undertone to it--like a hint of it--it seems to vary more with light changes, maybe a little more complex somehow. I personally love both colors and think either are a great choice, but I'm yellow biased. Good luck!

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting on the doors. They sure look, shall we say, inviting!

Thanks for the color information, Darenka. I am very drawn to these soft yellow rooms for some reason so am going to give it a whirl! I expect Buttercream is a good one for me. Not overwhelmingly yellow and it does seem neutral. I know it is a warm yellow but don't see it as pink. I seem to like a little red in my colors. Samples are on their way!

I have never actually spent time in a yellow room, so am hoping I enjoy it as much as looking at the pictures!

• Wolfpackmom
    11 years ago

I love yellow, I just have the hardest time picking the right yellow. I can't wait to see how it turns out for you!