Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phaewryn

Turning Purple to deep red, possible?

Today I picked up a really nice quality exterior paint off the discount shelf to paint the back door and porch floor/steps. It was supposed to be a slightly mistinted burgundy. The paint spot on top totally looked maroon/burgundy, however, upon painting it on, It's (oops) PURPLE. Totally an accident, I was told it was a mistint BURGUNDY (yeah, REALLY MISTINTED)! BUT, it was only $10 for a whole gallon of really nice quality paint (really really nice paint). But it's not burgundy, it's purple. I asked people off the street to tell me what color it is, and they said purple, so I know it's not just me.

But it should be fine as a base coat, for the steps (which I scrubbed with soap/bleach today in preparation to paint), as it will need like 5 coats to smooth them out anyway (I got splinters from them last year, being rough and unpainted).

But here's what I came to ask. Is it POSSIBLE to add a quart of a deep yellow/orange and MAKE IT WARMER? I was thinking I could try buying a quart of DEEP ORANGE/YELLOW to mix in with it and it MIGHT turn red, but I am worried that a cool purple mixed with orange/yellow MIGHT turn BROWN, and that would be bad, as it needs to be RED. I was hoping for a slightly deeper/saturated barn red, but I'd be happy with anything from maroon to red (it just can't be purple, it can't even be a purplish burgundy).

Worst case, I'll just pop a cheap gallon of boxstore barn red OVER the purple, and it'll BE FINE. It can be a primer/base coat, but I'd really like to USE this paint, IF it's fixable by adding a different color.

Can you turn a just past burgundy/too purple into RED by adding yellow or orange? Should I try it, or should I just call it a base coat and cover it with the right color? It looks a little worse than the photo shows, as that was evening sun lighting it in the pic.

Comments (2)