Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Wood Paneling

Posted by bsteeves86 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 22:37

I just finished painting the wood paneling in my basement. Thankfully the wood paneling had minimal sheen so I barely had to sand anything. I then used an oil based primer and then two coats of water based interior paint. Everything looks GREAT!! It helps that the basement is pretty dark so if there are any imperfections they are difficult to see. NOW I want to do the wood paneling in my upstairs foyer which gets alot of light because there are cathedral ceilings with very large windows. The difference with this wood panelling is that there is considerable amounts of sheen so I know I will have to do quite a bit of sanding, but my main question is do I HAVE to use oil based primer? The smell and toxins are nauseating and that was fine for the basement because I could take a break and come upstairs away from the smell. Now the smell will be throughout the whole main living area. Anyway around this would be GREAT!! Thanks for your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Wood Paneling

It's possible that a latex bonding primer will work okay, but BIN would be best. The smell is probably just as bad as the oil based primer, but dissipates quicker.

o
RE: Painting Wood Paneling

I used BIN downstairs in our family-room a few years ago.

I'd rather smell the Alcohol/Shellac mix of BIN than most Oil primers!!
>>> Get a small box fan propped in a window blowing OUT.
* Have a couple other windows cracked too for cross-venting.
* Yes, a good Latex stainblocker like Zinssers' 123, Gliddens' Gripper, ACE's Stain-Halt, or C2-One primer; will do well too.
* Apply a good full coat though!
* Don't push a roller-load ANY further than a 3'x3' area! Preferably a 2'x3'.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here