Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color scheme for small victorian

Posted by voveo (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 22:10

Looking to get a second opinion on the house I'm buying. I was thinking navy with the traditional red/maroon door. I'm not sure about porch railings or anything either. I was thinking white.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color scheme for small victorian

If I understand correctly, you're thinking about navy blue for the entire body of the house. I would ask if you've ever seen a house - painted - navy blue. Functionally, navy for the body is not a good idea. Aesthetically, I'm reading red, white and blue color scheme - maybe something else to think about a lil more.

o

I would ask if you've ever seen a house - painted - navy blue.

I just came back from a vacation to California and there were plenty of them in San Francisco.

But I agree with you

o

No I ment shutters, trim , door....

o

A red door is always good!

o

I may be off the wall here, but I'm not sure I would even keep the shutters. When I look at the house, the shutters are all you see now - and only two of the windows have shuters. The upper windows don't. And the door looks too thin and skimpy next to the windows which are visually widened by the shutters. Had you considered painting the walls a more saturated color, and a dark complementary color for the door? The door needs to take more prominance, and I love the eyebrows over the windows, yet you can hardly see them because they don't stand out.

Let's say for example you paint the exterior walls a deeper yellow, remove the shutters, brighten the white paint around all the windows and door, then the door a dark navy? Then if you put railings around the porch, they'd be in white also.

Or you could paint the exterior walls medium (not light) gray, white trim, and a red door.

By the way, I absolutely love this house. You really found a gem. Such possibilities.

o

I love this house I think the shutters are part of the original design so they should stay they just should not be contrasted so starkly. I don't think a light color would work on this house at all. Because of the house to the right and the white house on the left a blue would work perfectly. I would not go as dark as navy. A midtone blue.

o
small victorian

Hi again...When I posted on this earlier I was doing so from my phone but now that I have a chance to see the house on the puter I love it even more. Where is this house located? If I was looking for inspiration colors for it I would check New Orleans. This house deserves special treatment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here