Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreno_gw

Help! White ceilings or not? Which white?

ctreno
14 years ago

Help! I told my builder I can't possibly choose all wall paint colors before I see our spaces more finished - especially how kitchen looks once cabinets (BM Revere Pewter) are installed and I see how they look in the space and look from one room to other. The kitchen/dining, a library, and living room all flow into each other - see photo below (though there will be a cherry floating panel between the spaces to sort of separate them.)

Anway, he's pushing me to at least choose the ceiling color so he can get in all the recessed lights and do floors because they said they always paint walls before doing floors. (Can't they just put drop cloths?) So the color consultant suggested just picking Atrium White for whole downstairs open space, but should I just tell builder he has to wait?

Upstairs in bedroom, we painted one room BM Wickham Gray with Affinity Steam ceiling/trim and I think it looks fine. Our master bedroom has a DK37 blue for part of ceiling and DK5 on the slanted part (not painted yet in photo below) The blue looks great, not sure I love the other color, but again, we had to move in and he was pushing (plus I was really getting tired of spending $26 on sample pots of DK trying to decide color #2. I don't think I will go that route again, but seeing that it was a tricky room with a lot of angles, assymetry, and 10 windows with SW light, color consultant strongly suggested using DK there.) We still cannot decide what to do about trim - same as wall color to not emphasize the bank of windows, or something different to highlight them. (Any suggestions?)

Back to celings --

My architect suggests not doing any white ceilings, but instead to do 50% or 25% of wall color. If we do paint ceiling a color, than obviously I can't choose that until wall color is chosen. Should I just stand my ground and tell him he can paint when we are closer to end? I am thinking about asking if I can remove painting from the contract and then hire my own painter when I am ready to choose.

Yikes - I feel as if they ask me "have you chosen the paint colors?" one more time, I am going to shoot myself (or them.) PS - I am probably feeling particularly crabby today since they left door open this morning and dog ran away. Fortunately, someone found him.

Sorry, I don't know how to get photos smaller.

Living room looking into kitchen/dining

kitchen/dining looking into living room

blue ceiling in MBR

{{!gwi}}

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

White ceilings are pretty standard. Once everything is said and done, nobody looks at the ceiling anyway except painters. If it were my wife's decision, she would take the advise of a respected interior decorator, not an architect, that is what they get paid for.Me, being a painter, all ceilings should be plain flat white.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

IMO, you only take color to the ceiling and all over trim when you are sure - very sure - about the color.

You are painting now because you have to. Many people have to paint before a space is complete or they move in and that is out of the technically ideal order. Ideally, you "paint last". That's in a perfect world and interior designers in particular like to do it that way - but they also usually get to do a room top to bottom in one fell swoop. That's not the way most people get to do it or live.

The architect's point of view is typical as well. For him it's about the space, the lines, the materials, light, cohesiveness. Variations on one wall color suits that point of view - and typically architects do not choose *colors*, it's most often very neutral, pale, almost non-colors.

The color consultant told you atrium white everywhere because you're painting before the space is finished. You aren't in a position to see everything in place and then choose color. Atrium White is the 'safest' most flexible choice to see you thru. The full spectrum specs make sense as well.

You have to paint now or you have to see if you can postpone it somehow. If you go with now, I would go with the most flexible choices and the easiest to paint over, to change in the future. Reconcile with the fact that as you settle in and add more decor, you may want to add more color to walls, ceilings, trim. Sometimes you can only *see* so far...