Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Painting screw/nail pop wall repairs - shadows?

pbx2_gw
10 years ago

We're getting our punch list done on our 1 year old home.

Builder is managing our expectations a bit by saying that since some of our rooms are in eggshell, there could be some shadows or flashing at the repair spots.

The ceiling are in flat white builder's grade.
Some rooms have Ben Moore Regal Select In eggshells in various lightish greys.
Bathrooms have Ben Moore Regal Select semi gloss again in various lightish grey blues..

I know that primer is built into the Benjamin Moore Regal Select.

Is that enough to help with the shadows on the walls?
Or should a separate primer be laid on also?

Any tips on reducing shadows?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

There is NO primer built into ANY paint.

and yes there will most likely be notable differences in the touch up of eggshell and certainly semi gloss

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by christophern (My Page) on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 3:24
    There is NO primer built into ANY paint.

According to BM's website it is build-in:

Posted by christophern (My Page) on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 3:24
    and yes there will most likely be notable differences in the touch up of eggshell and certainly semi gloss

Darn...Oh well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Regal Select is both a paint and primer in one formula.

• PRO
    10 years ago

According to BM's website it is build-in:

No way, read it carefully again

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Regal Select is both a paint and primer in one advanced formula.

Here is a link that might be useful: Regal Select is both a paint and primer in one advanced formula.

• PRO
    10 years ago

There is still NO primer in the paint, never has been, never will be.
    Read this article
    It is all just a marketing ploy for the DIY such as yourself

and it obviously works well

Here is a link that might be useful: paint, primer

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

I think whether or not there is primer in the paint or not, this is not relevant. Also, the shadows and/or flashing is also not relevant. You will be putting new paint on areas that have been painted a year ago. This is usually enough to cause problems with touching up. Generally, flat paint touches up the best and the more shiny your paint is, the harder touch ups are. Darker colors are harder to touch up than light ones. Areas with light coming in from windows will be hard to touch up as well. Really, what most builders I know do is they tell the customers that they are free to choose washable paints, but touching up after the year end warranty work may be a challenge.

You don't need a primer though. You just need to apply two coats of paint to the repairs because the patches are porous. The primer being in the paint is just another way for paint companies to say that the paint is self priming or that using a primer is just not necessary.

• PRO
    10 years ago

The primer being in the paint is just another way for paint companies to say that the paint is self priming or that using a primer is just not necessary.

exactly, which also means there is no primer in the paint :-)

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

I suspect there isn't any primer in the paint too. But, I'm not a paint chemist so I don't know what they are putting in there. My point is that even if they are putting primer in there, that doesn't help with anything or do anything. It's just a tool to trick people that don't know paint into thinking they are saving a step. Primer in the paint or not, you still need to apply two coats of paint over a patch.

• PRO
    10 years ago

If you ignore the hippy chick, this article explains it pretty well

Here is a link that might be useful: priming

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone