Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmayes_gw

Do I paint my stained beams white?

cmayes
11 years ago

I am painting all my stained trim to an off shade of white. I am not sure if I paint the beams and the fireplace white. I have heavy top trim and crown moulding which the beams meet to. Also have stained fireplace and wall behind the fireplace. I would appreciate thoughts on how much I should paint white. I love the rich dark stain of the beams, but I don't want it to look messy. Thanks for your help

Comments (5)

• Pines Everywhere
    11 years ago

Hey CMayes -- I saved your photo and flipped it around. I think if you paint that moulding, you should definitely paint the beams also -- the moulding and beams together are continuous looking and IâÂÂd keep them all the same (all stained or all painted).

Whatever you end up doing with the Beams/Moulding, you should consider doing with the wood Mantle and the Surround . I think that paneled Tall Wall should be painted that buttercream color. That Tall Wall (stained) really takes away from your mantle and fireplace.

Finally, painting the fireplace. IâÂÂve done it before and it turned out super. However, your brick is pretty nice looking and neutral -- IâÂÂd maybe leave that alone.

Are you gonna paint that lower paneling, or leave as is? I think that would like nice either way but painted would make the room look bigger.

Good luck -- I feel your pain -- I am redoing a similar room and it is a doozy with so many elements -- you are off to good start thought. Love the art work btw!

• cmayes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Pines Everywhere. I thought tht I should do. Beams and moulding white because they are continuous. I really appreciate your thoughts. I am painting the wainscoating white and all trim. You referred to the woodwork from ceiling to fireplace. When you said buttercream color I assume you meant the wall color, correct? Interesting! I wasn't sure about white or wall color your thought that painting it white would detract from the irate. I think I will try the wall color and see how it looks. Thanks again.

• Pines Everywhere
    11 years ago

Yes Cmayes -- I meant paint the Fireplace Tall Wall the Wall Color but I like your idea about white too now that I understand that you are doing the wainscoting too. I have studied many photos with this arrangement as I have a similar challenge.

The white wainscoting with white beams and trim can look fabulous. Give some thought to painting the ceiling too (I know more work) but painting the ceiling the wall color or a tone slightly lighter will really make your beams/trim stand out. See photo that I used for some inspiration. :)

This post was edited by PinesEverywhere on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 11:53

• cmayes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You have really helped and thank you so much. I will get to work on the trim and save the ceiling for last. Eek!--it is so high I must save the worst for last. I do love the picture you added and it does make the beams stand out. Good luck with your challenge hope you will send pics when your work is complete.

• Pines Everywhere
    11 years ago

You are welcome! I'll be in this forum a lot because I'm doing two rooms simultaneously. Before / During photos soon -- the After photos may take awhile. LOL.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH