Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paint over treated lumbder

Posted by brownthumbia (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 21:36

I really have a problem. I have a deck that was made with treated lumber. Not knowing any better quite a few years ago I got tired of the dark stain so I painted it white. Well, the paint has worn off and I really can't afford to replace the deck so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a paint that will adhere to this lumber better than the last one I used. It certainly would help me out if anyone had an answer plus the deck needs help as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for any help you could give me. I sure would appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paint over treated lumbder

Hello brownthumbia,

My name is Christine, and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot.

I would suggest priming the surface first. Do you know if the stain that is on there is oil or latex based? If it is oil, you will have to use oil based primer, if it is latex, you can use either oil or latex.

After the primer is dry, use a paint that is specifically formulated for porches. Typically people apply 2 coats. Check on the back of the can to see how long it takes the paint to cure before you walk on it. Depending on the paint, it may take up to 3 days.

I hope this helped you out,

Happy painting!
Christine

o

Thanks so much Christine. I'm sure the dark stain was oil based, but the paint I used over that was latex. that may be where the problem came in. don't think you can paint latex over oil. Oh, how stupid of me. I didn't realize what I did until I just now typed it. But, I will take your suggestion and just repaint it and hope for the best. Thanks again for your help. BT

o

Oh G*D....here we go again...

DO NOT PRIME A DECK if using a "Porch & Floor" PAINT!!!!

THERE ARE NO P&F PRIMERS!
* The 1st coat of 99% of P&F paints needs to be thinned slightly to aid penetration.
* 2nd coat goes on full-strength.
* This assumes a cleaned, dried deck with little "grain-crush".

>>> How old is the deck?
>>> How high off the ground?
>>> Side(s) of house?
>>> Has the floor ever been sanded?

The ONLY floor primer I'd use is Cabot. It's one of very few out there. Check the link...

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabot's Deck & Siding primer...

o

Well, she did say "happy painting" .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here