Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen_monster

Kitchen Cabinets

kitchen_monster
14 years ago

Yet another 'I'm painting my kitchen cabinets white' post :O).

We purchased our home last year and it has 'maple' Merillat cabinets that the person who flipped our house before us put in. We are happy with them as a whole and they function well, so we feel guilty replacing them with brand new cabinets... but we are hoping to paint them white, as the 'maple' is just not our style. They seem to be engineered wood, so I am a bit confused about how best to paint them. I visited BM today to look at swatches (white dove looks good to us), and the sales person told me a lot about Cabinet Coat and even did several 'tests' for me on different surfaces/types of wood. We're pretty pleased with it and knew nothing of it before, which is how we got HERE!

But we have a few questions.

1. Is Satin Impervo Waterbourne 'better'? What's the difference?

2. We were told that the CC basically only comes in 'basic white' and can be tinted other pastel colors, but not to a different white (like white dove). We don't mind the basic white so much, but worry a bit that it will look a bit too much like 'someone slapped bright white paint on me' and not 'sophisticated' like white dove or another white might look.

3. He originally told us about STIX, but then said that we would not need it for engineered cabinets since the grain would not come through with CC. Is this true? Should we prime anyway? He also said that we would not sand engineered wood, and would only need to wipe them down.

4. Does CC need any kind of glaze, sealant, poly, etc?

5. What type of brushes are best? He advised against both sprayers (unless we're experienced with them) and foam brushes.

6. Do most people paint the inside of their cabinets also? Does it look silly if you don't? It seems like quite the hassle!

Overall, he seemed very genuine and not like he was just trying to 'sell' us something - but you never know! And we want to make the best choice for our home.

Comments (9)

• Faron79
    14 years ago

Hi K-Monster!

CC has a tint-base.
    * This HAS to be used for tinting ANY color, even off-whites.
    * The CC "stock white" is a whisker Gray IMO...even a tad on the blueiish gray side...
    * If I'm shooting a light ACE formula, I grab the CC-tintbase, and just shoot the ACE color. Turns out perfect!
    * I've got sample boards of CC's White, and ACE's Cabinet/Trim paint. The ACE is much whiter, and has all 4 tintbases avail. So, in ACE, you could do a Burgundy Cabinet-paint!
    * The tint-base CC is whiter, and therefore the accurate base. You'll never get a color correct by using the "White" base for tinting.

>>> Priming your cabs-
    Not entirely necessary. Scuff-sand...definitely!
    >>> Additional sealant...Not needed OR recommended.
    >>> Brushes...the best you can afford-
    Ideally, a Purdy Chinex or Corona Chinex.
    >>> Paint inside...I wouldn't bother! Unless you have some glass-fronted doors. Cabs are closed 98% of the time anyway!

You MAY want to investigate the FPE's ECO Cabinet Paint.
    I've sampled it...WOW.

Faron

• kitchen_monster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for such great information! Would you mind linking me to/explaining what FPE cabinet paint is and where to find it? I have seen it mentioned here before, but I still haven't figured out what on earth it means!

• macybaby
    14 years ago

FPE - Fine Paints of Europe. They sound really neat, but expensive and I'd have to drive 400 miles to get to the nearest supplier. But after reading about them - I'd sure love to try them.

The nearest place that sells BM paint is only 70 miles away so that is much better for me.

As to the interior of you cabs, since they are already finished, I'd leave them. the only time I would paint them is if you had unfinished wood.

Cathy

• Faron79
    14 years ago

People are probably tired of me saying this (!), but I live in Fargo, ND.

FPE comes from Woodstock, VT.

After sampling some of their products in the ACE store where I play in paint daily, I KNEW what I was going to use in my downstairs bath.
    (...and we've got good paints here too...C2, Ralph-Lauren, & ACE-Royal)

Sooooo...I soon ordered a Qt. of FPE Eurolux Matte, color is "Brown Cafe". Total cost to Fargo, w/ shipping = $45.

As mentioned, I'd use the eco-friendly "ECO"-series paint for Cabs & Trims.

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: FPE link-

• kitchen_monster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So ACE stocks FPE? Which paint specifically is meant for cabinets?

Has anyone used the Satin Impervo Waterbourne for cabinets? If so, does anyone have photos? :O)

• Faron79
    14 years ago

No...no ACE in the country does...to the best of my knowledge anyway!

I was just sampling some of their products (that's all I can say...sorry!).

ECO (water-based), or the Oil-based Hollandlac in Satin or Brilliant would be awesome choices for Cabs.
    I can LITERALLY see my reflection in the Brilliant!

Faron

• kitchen_monster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Faron :O).

I like that the satin impervo waterbourne can be made in colors other than 'basic white'... but I have read a few threads on here where writers were disappointed with their results and found it difficult to work with - so now I'm scared! I think there is an oil based one, as well, but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate for our cabinets.

I'm a bit afraid of messing them up, can you tell?

• dsfancy
    9 years ago

Hi, I have the Merillat Martel Cabinets in Dove White in my kitchen. When we purchased our cabinets we were given / bought a quart of touch up paint as a part of the cabinet purchase. The Paint we received is from MOHAWK here is what is on the label MOHAWK Water Base Basecoat White/Dove White/Vintage Dove White QPWH. You can probably contact Mohawk and order a quart and color match with you local hardware store if appropriate.

This post was edited by dsfancy on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 12:07

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Let's hope the original poster was able to find the appropriate paint because he or she asked this question over four years ago.