Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caitlinmagner

Having trouble finding the perfect blue-gray exterior paint

caitlinmagner
11 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new to the paint forums, so please forgive any newbie faux pas.

We have recently built an addition to our home and will have the entire house painted later this month.

We live on the lake and I would like to find a nice blue/gray exterior color to complement that. The house is currently a taupe color, which is fine but I think I can do better.

I have tried SW: Serious Gray which I like but is just a bit too dark and blue/purple. Earl Gray which is just too plain gray.

BM: James River Gray is too turquoise blue; Smokestack is almost right but a touch too dark; Brewster Gray might be the one, but may be too blue in the direct sunlight.

Also, we tried a brown/gray, SW Anonymous which we like, but I kind of have my heart set on blue-gray.

This post was edited by Kitten1313 on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 21:50

Comments (4)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

If you don't get responses here, try posting this on the Home Decorating forum.

Have you looked at the brochures from the major paint companies, such as this one from Ben Moore?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Moore exterior paint ideas

• caitlinmagner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you, posted to HD forum.

• jentrex
    11 years ago

I'm painting my home also, however, I'm looking for grays with a green undertone. I found that against the greens in the grass and trees, the blue undertone grays start looking too blue for me. My suggestion is to look at grays that initially you didn't consider because the color may look more blue outside. Benjamin Moore Coventry Gray is a med gray with slight blue undertones that looks more blue outside. I also started to ask what the LVR of the paint color is. This is how light or dark the color is. Sherwin Williams lists this number on the back of the paint strips, Ben Moore does not, you have to ask. This also helps limit your color choices. I decided I liked a color that has an LVR of about 38-40.
    I understand what a hard decision this is. I have purchased about 12 sample colors and painted large areas on my new house last fall and stared at them all winter. I settled on S.W. Rare Gray which looked so green in the store I initially passed on it. The painters will start in a couple weeks. Hope I made the correct choice. Good luck with yours.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

I would try ANYONES historic color selections. You will find such things available from numerous paint companies and even non-paint entities, like Willaimsburg, Old Village and such.