Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darenka

Wall color help white washed wood???

darenka
10 years ago

I'm living in a rental house which means I'm stuck with the white washed wood and while the drapes are not my favorite, I don't really want to invest in custom drapes either. And honestly, they do match the tile which has a bit of pink-mauve-lilac hue to them.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone with better color sense and abilities could tell me if the paint chips are in an appropriate color family or if I'm better off just repainting the walls white. The color I'm leaning toward is marked with the blue tape. I'm VERY open to suggestions or advise. Thanks much!!!!

Comments (11)

• darenka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The paint chips family.

• darenka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the multiple posts..... I don't remember how to do several pictures in one. But the blue marks the color I'm leaning toward.

• darenka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the kitchen from another angle. This should make it clear why repainting is mandatory.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Darenka -- I can't see your paint chip numbers so I'll comment generally.

I like the purple but would advise picking a shade two shades lighter (at least) from what matches your favorite color in the curtains. The darker/deeper you go with your paint .... the cabinets will really stand out. I think you want to blend the space.

Also, ready made curtains are pretty cheap at Bed, Bath and Beyond and at Pottery Barn. You could buy these and take them when you leave -- put the original ones back up. Then you have many options -- Get your favorite curtains first and then pick your paint. Just a thought.

• darenka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Pines!!!! Silly really, that I never thought of that. For that matter, I think I'll take the curtains down entirely. Literally never close them as it's a beautiful green space/forest behind me and no one lives there. YAY! Why would I close the drapes? And you are right, I don't really want to accentuate the cabinets.

OK, 2 more photos and if you or anyone has a color suggestion I'd be thrilled. The color probably won't come completely true, but the cabinets are really almost a silver-white colored--not a true white wash commonly seen in the USA of this vintage. The tile 1/2 way up the wall has a distinct gray tone to it. Is there a color that will work well with these two things? The floor tile does have a pink/mauve/gray swirl in it, but is primarily white so I suspect anything will work. I'm just wondering if something other than a much lighter shade of that muted purple would work better.

Floor Tile in this photo

• darenka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wall tile, Silver-white washed cabinet that doesn't look too silver in photos, but it really is.

That is a piece of typing paper on the wall so there is a color reference to the gray wall tile.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

MMMhh -- Now we have an open palette to choose from. Anything with a greyish base would look nice --

Blueish/Grey
    Greenish/Grey
    Mauvey/Grey
    Lavender/Grey

Just stay away from anything with a yellow, beige or brown base -- because t will reflect onto the cabinets and they'll look dingy versus white-washed.

I'm partial to Greens and Greys now-a-days as I'm trying to bring my peaceful wooded lot indoors -- sounds like you have a similar view!

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Hey Darlin -- I thought of something else that might be pretty cool. Hear me out .... paint the walls white (not bright white) but a white with a little tinge of grey.

Then put some inexpensive framed art on the wall where that clock is -- a sequence of something you love -- flowers, food, etc. All the same size (3 or 4 framed items). Your eyes will go to those accents and the Kitchen will still look clean/fresh/bigger.

Again, if decorating on a budget -- Home Goods & JoAnn Fabrics has some nifty accents/art that might inspire you. I just Googled IMAGES for "Small White Kitchen Ideas" lots to choose from if you go that route.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images: Small White Kitchen Ideas

• darenka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pines, I hope you come back at some point as I just realized I'd forgotten to thank you for your help and suggestions. I had 'no way' sort of reaction to the white until I started browsing through the pictures, and got inspired with the suggestions of art work...... Anyway, I dashed off to the paint store for some chips, now I'm trying a few samples. I've just been distracted plotting out the possibilities. Who knew that ditching some drapes and some great ideas would make this so much more fun. I've just been paralyzed with dread and indecision. Now I can see some possibilities that won't cost a small fortune. Thanks so very much. You've been fabulous!

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Darenka -- I figured you were spinning with ideas and off to the store or up on a ladder painting. :)

You are most welcome and good luck with your project.

Post some pictures at some point -- I'll be in this forum for a long time as I am doing two big rooms that have "issues". LOL.

• benlinus
    10 years ago

I like it, but I advise you to choose the two-tone purple lighter (at least) the curtains that matched your favorite colors. Darker / The deeper the color is reached .... cabinets really stand out. I think you want to mix space.